question

kfboelter avatar image
kfboelter asked

Generic ID: where to see and how to search.

Hi. I have a couple of questions:

1) I am not being able to see where it is that the Generic ID data is saved for the user. I have searched through all of the tabs of user information on the user page, and I just don't see that. Am I missing something?

2) Is there a way to get a user generic ID? Say I create a custom ID to overcome a situation: users login through GameCenter, thus do not have the suername field in there, and I want to allow non-unique display names, thus being undable to search for display name. I could use a generic ID to perform searches. I'd need to Get users FROM this generic ID, as well as displaying the generic ID inside the user info panel (inside te game now, not on the PlayFab webpage, as I mentioned on the first question).

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

No, the Generic ID system was added to provide a way for titles to let players register any other service ID as "belonging" to the user, so that others can find the user from that ID, rather than the other way around. So, for example, you could add the user's LinkedIn ID to their account, so that others could find the PlayFab ID of the user by querying with that LinkedIn ID.

As stated in the other thread though, Game Center IDs are unique, so you likely don't need to turn on the non-unique display name option. But I'm also not sure on what you'd be saving as the Generic ID in this context - the Generic ID must also be unique on a per-player basis.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

kfboelter avatar image kfboelter commented ·

Hi Brendan,

thanks for the answer. I did ask two questions, though. Can you please answer this one:

1) I am not being able to see where it is that the Generic ID data is saved for the user. I have searched through all of the tabs of user information on the user page, and I just don't see that. Am I missing something?

Thanks again!

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan kfboelter commented ·

The Generic IDs are not visible in the Game Manager currently. That service was added as a way to be able to look up players by their IDs in services that aren't directly supported. If you'd like to see this added as part of the player profile in a future update (which would enable search on the Players tab, for example), I would recommend adding it to the feature requests forum, so that other developers can "like" the idea (which helps with prioritization).

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.