question

Ramon Franco avatar image
Ramon Franco asked

Direct Peer to peer with 2 networks

Hello there,

I'm currently attempting to have two PartyNetworks running at the same time, it appears that I can only have one PartyNetwork set up to use the DirectPeerConnectivity setup that PartyNetworks provide. Couldn't find anything in the docs about this limitation so reaching out in the hopes this is just something wrong with my setup.

multiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

I can successfully create two PartyNetworks and set up the DirectPeerConnectivity, did you receive any error messages? And as Multiple networks mentions : “Often, a game scenario which uses multiple networks can be redesigned or simplified to only require a single network, and care should be taken to evaluate whether this is possible before designing your game's network architecture around multiple Party networks”, could you tell us why you want to have two PartyNetworks running at the same time? You can also tell us more details about your scenario.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ramon Franco avatar image Ramon Franco commented ·

Hi Neils,

No errors or anything the way I found out was by outputting the connection status of the two players, on one of the networks it says they are using direct peer to peer and on the other one it's the relay. These are two players both connected to two networks that have the same options.

As far as why I was trying this is because I have an Unreal game that at times requires full mesh topology amongst the players. Simple way of thinking of this is a 16 player lobby where the lobby connectivity is done in one network using Unreal's networking replication(which is host-client) and then as players in the lobby have their matches(1vs1) they would go off and create their new network and have their match then report back to the lobby. As far as a single network solution, I ended up implementing one but it isn't as clean, mostly I needed a way to differentiate between Unreal messages and my own match messages so I added a byte of information to all messages in order to differentiate it which is fine after some plugin modifications but it does add a byte to every message.

0 Likes 0 ·
Neils Shi avatar image Neils Shi Ramon Franco commented ·

Could you tell us how you checked the connection status of the two players so that we can do some research? Are you using the SDK method or something else to check the connection status?

0 Likes 0 ·
Ramon Franco avatar image Ramon Franco Neils Shi commented ·

SDK method, GetDeviceConnectionType.

The ping coincided with a relay as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.