question

Greggory Addison avatar image
Greggory Addison asked

A question about using playfabs services without the server hosting

Currently I'm investigating dedicated server machines with providers such as GPortal and I've been wondering will it be possible to host my games on their servers but use features in playfab such as

1. Cloud Functions

2. Economy

3. Leaderboards

4. Data Storage

Without using the hosting service? Or will implementing those features require me to host with playfabs server hosting.

The reason I ask is because I do want some server authoritative logic to run on my server but I'm not sure if that would be possible without a server hosted in playfabs backend.

apisunrealCustom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
kylemc@microsoft.com avatar image
kylemc@microsoft.com answered

Nearly all of PlayFab can be used as independent pieces without relying on server hosting. Specifically, Economy, Leaderboards, and Data Storage all work that way. You'll just need to find a way to keep your Title credentials secret (and all cloud have a way for your to do this safely).

For Azure CloudScript (via Azure Functions) that won't run on other Clouds (like Google or AWS), but there are probably alternative ways you can find to integrate with PlayStream automation and triggers if you're creative.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Greggory Addison avatar image Greggory Addison commented ·

Thats smart thanks. I'll definitely look into that.

0 Likes 0 ·
Greggory Addison avatar image Greggory Addison commented ·

When you say they won't run did you mean that I can't use playfab api to fire the cloud script on other cloud servers or did you mean that I cannot try to run these scripts in those cloud servers.

For example if I only want the server authority to give the player XP, can I or can't I call "ExecuteCloudScript" using the playfab api on the server authority?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.