question

Matt avatar image
Matt asked

Is there a way to remove an e-mail address?

Hi folks,

I've got a mobile game where players login using a custom Id (the id of the device). I decided to get rid of the plugins for linking Apple, Google, and Facebook in favor of just using an email address and password.

Previously, if the player went to link an account and it was found that it already had a Playfab account associated with it, I would show the player their current progress and that game's progress so they could choose which to have the account (google, apple, facebook) linked to.

The thing is...I also gave them the option to Cancel (in case they weren't sure and didn't want to make a mistake...or maybe a friend or child was playing) and this would completely cancel the linking.

Can I incorporate the same work flow using an Email address and password? Is it even possible to change which account an e-mail address is associated with or do I have to explicitly tell the player that, if they wish to "register/login" with the email, that their current progress will be completely orphaned?

Thanks for the info! -Matt

Random Unrelated Note: The Topics entry below for this form is required. The only way to get a valid entry is to type the first 3 letters of only roughly 30 different entries to get a list to show. I tried many things for Email, Linking, Login, etc...until googling the list of topics. It's a little wonky, but that's just my 2cents.

apis
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Infer Wang avatar image
Infer Wang answered

If you want to change the email associated with the PlayFab account, you can open game manager->players->overview, then you can change the PlayFab login email. Unfortunately, users cannot change it by themselves, and there is no API to unlink the PlayFab identity (username, email, password). For new users, you can use the api "RegisterPlayFabUser" (

https://docs.microsoft.com/rest/api/playfab/client/authentication/registerplayfabuser) for registration, then the account will be linked with username, email, password. For the user using a custom Id, you can use the api "AddUsernamePassword"(https://docs.microsoft.com/rest/api/playfab/client/account-management/addusernamepassword) , then the account will be linked with username, email, password. As a result, the user can choose to login with custom Id or login with username and password. Hope this could help you.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Matt avatar image Matt commented ·

Thank you for the reply.

For a smooth login sequence I always default to logging players in using the custom device Id. I only allow logging in otherwise when the player attempts to link an account. If the player cannot unlink an email, I may need to consider going back to implementing the Apple/Google/Facebook linking.

0 Likes 0 ·
Infer Wang avatar image Infer Wang Matt commented ·

Sorry for the inconvenience, currently this is by design. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.