question

philipegarciaf avatar image
philipegarciaf asked

Using only PlayFab as an authoritative server for a turn-based game

First of all, I would like to say that I have read all the other questions on the subject, but I'm still confused (I don't have experience developing for multiplayer, and I'm just trying to figure out who is the person that I need to hire).

Now, I would like to know any limitations that I may encounter if I decide to use PlayFab as an authoritative server for my multiplayer game.

It's a Domino Game, each player (2 or 4 per match) can make a move and occasionally (if the player doesn't have a piece to play) buy a piece on their turn. All the pieces that the player buys are sorted by PlayFab, and each move is validated by PlayFab as well. My plan is to use CloudScript to handle the validation of the moves and so on. The moves don't have to be instant, and that's why I haven't gone directly for a real-time solution like Photon. We can have a delay of about 5 seconds (less is better, though) until all the players have received the information from the server.

I have read many times about the API rate limit but did not understand if it's per client or per title. To keep it simple, can every client playing the game safely make, let's say, 20 requests per minute?

Would PlayFab be recommended for a project like this?,First of all, I would like to say that I have read all the other questions on the subject, but I'm still confused (I don't have experience developing for multiplayer, and I'm just trying to figure out who is the person that I need to hire).

Now, I would like to know any limitations that I may encounter if I decide to use PlayFab as an authoritative server for my multiplayer game.

It's a Domino Game, each player (2 or 4 per match) can make a move and occasionally (if the player doesn't have a piece to play) buy a piece on their turn. All the pieces that the player buys are sorted by PlayFab, and each move is validated by PlayFab as well. My plan is to use CloudScript to handle the validation of the moves and so on. The moves don't have to be instant, and that's why I haven't gone directly for a real-time solution like Photon. We can have a delay of about 5 seconds (less is better, though) until all the players have received the information from the server.

I have read many times about the API rate limit but did not understand if it's per client or per title. To keep it simple, can every client playing the game safely make, let's say, 20 requests per minute?

Would PlayFab be recommended for a project like this?

CloudScriptShared Group Datamultiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

For turn-based game, PlayFab has an example which uses Shared Group Data feature, you may take a look. In the example, the CouldScript is used to handle the validation of the moves and write the game state info to the SharedGroupData which contains the current turn. So, the players need to poll for the turn, in this case, the main used API would be Client API GetSharedGroupData which rate limit is 200 requests per 120 seconds which should meet your requirements.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.