question

Matt avatar image
Matt asked

How to connect to Multiplayer Server without Matchmaking?

Hey folks,

I'm developing a mobile game (iOS and Android) using Unity. I don't need the Matchmaking Service, I have all of the matching code within the server from when I used Legacy Servers. I just need the server info from PlayFab to connect players to the server.

Back with the legacy server, I'd make a call to PlayFab for the server info:

PlayFabClientAPI.Matchmake( new MatchmakeRequest() { BuildVersion = AccountManager.ServerBuildVersion, Region = Region.USEast, GameMode = AccountManager.ServerGameMode },
 ( result ) =>
 {
     ConnectClient( result.ServerIPV4Address, result.ServerPort ?? 7777, result.Ticket );
 },
 ( error ) => 
 {
 } );

If I do have to use the Matchmaking API to get the server information that players would use to connect, I can simply use the REST API from the client to get the information?

Also, as an additional separate question...I'm building the server with the expectation that tons of players will connect and be paired up, within the server, until their match completes. That's a reasonable way to set it up, right?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated! -Matt

multiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Dimitris Gkanatsios avatar image
Dimitris Gkanatsios answered
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.