question

tldQuantic avatar image
tldQuantic asked

PlayFab TLS 1.0 and 1.1 Discontinuance

I received an email from Playfab about "Discontinuing TLS 1.0 and 1.1 support":

"Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.0 and 1.1 are security protocols for establishing encrypted channels over computer networks. Due to evolving compliance requirements and to benefit from improvements in cyber security, PlayFab will only support TLS 1.2 or TLS 1.3 starting on September 30th, 2023. ... Before September 30th, 2023, please take the necessary steps to update to TLS 1.2 or 1.3 to ensure there are no disruptions to your titles—which may include game play interruption. "

What does that means ? Should I update The Playfab SDK we currently use in our released game in order to be compliant ? Or is there more things to do ?

Thanks

sdks
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

This message indicates that your game may be using the TLS 1.0 or 1.1 protocol, which provides privacy and data integrity between two communicating applications. In most cases, this is not related to the PlayFab SDK. Could you please provide the type and version of the Engine and SDK that you are using?

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

tldQuantic avatar image tldQuantic commented ·

Hi @Xiao Zha Thanks for your answer. We use an in-house c++ game engine. The Playfab SDK we use is the XPlatCppSdk. Where could I find the sdk version from the source code ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Xiao Zha avatar image Xiao Zha tldQuantic commented ·

Since Xplatcppsdk uses the default TLS protocol of the operating system, you need to add code to check the current system default TLS version. If the version is less than 1.2, you can remind the player to modify the system default TLS protocol.

0 Likes 0 ·
tldQuantic avatar image tldQuantic Xiao Zha commented ·

Ok, thanks for your answer.

Do you know if we could easily change the source code of the XPlatCppSdk (maybe by writing our own Plugin) in order to use a specific version of TLS and not the default one ?

0 Likes 0 ·
sebastianusberti-externo avatar image sebastianusberti-externo commented ·

Hi!, is this a completed task? today Oct 2nd, I can still see TLS 1.0 and 1.1 being offered...

I am using this tool to test it. https://github.com/drwetter/testssl.sh

testssh.sh ade31.playfabapi.com

Testing protocols via sockets except NPN+ALPN

SSLv2 not offered (OK) SSLv3 not offered (OK) TLS 1 offered (deprecated) TLS 1.1 offered (deprecated) TLS 1.2 offered (OK) TLS 1.3 not offered and downgraded to a weaker protocol NPN/SPDY h2, http/1.1 (advertised) ALPN/HTTP2 h2, http/1.1 (offered)

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.