question

Benjamin Bennett avatar image
Benjamin Bennett asked

My game is randomly getting 'Failed to connect to Steam WebAPI AuthenticateUserTicket: Timeout'

My game has been going pretty smoothly for the last 6 or so months, but the last couple of days I've been having users unable to login via Steam.

It doesn't happen every single time. Maybe like 1 in 10 times actually works.

I'm using Steamworks.NET to get a users auth ticket and then using this code from the PlayFab SDK to log the player in.

LoginWithSteamRequest request = new LoginWithSteamRequest()
             {
                 TitleId = PlayFabSettings.TitleId,
                 CreateAccount = true,
                 SteamTicket = hexTicket,
                 InfoRequestParameters = accountParams
             };

PlayFabClientAPI.LoginWithSteam(request, OnLoggedIn, OnLoginError);

I would love to figure out what's happening here so my players can actually get into the game.

Authentication
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

PlayFab simply submits the SteamTicket to Valve for authentication and this error message may be caused by internet connection or a temporary issue with the Steam servers. Since there is a Steam outage reported in the last 24 hours, refer to Steam down? Current network status and problems | Downdetector. This issue should be resolved when the Steam outage is fixed.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

vahida1988@yahoo.com avatar image vahida1988@yahoo.com commented ·

I have the same problem, It seems related to the Steam servers and nothing related to PlayFab.

I have had this problem for 24 hours now!

0 Likes 0 ·
franciscoraposo avatar image franciscoraposo commented ·

Hi @Neils Shi, we have a relatively big live project and we're having the same issue. Last 2 days we've had over 600.000 identical errors.

Could you provide any details on what can be causing this? This is having a huge impact on our project and we have no means to fix it as there are no details on the issue.

Thank you!

Edit: this keeps escalating. 1 hour later we have more than 150.000 new failed requests

0 Likes 0 ·
Benjamin Bennett avatar image Benjamin Bennett commented ·

It looks like the endpoint on Steam's end is working again. I'm guessing they had some sort of major outage over the weekend and no one around to fix it.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.