question

John Peterson avatar image
John Peterson asked

What is the difference between Tags and CustomData on a CatalogItem?

Dear PlayFab community,

I still have some confusion about some of the CatalogItem specifics. Particularly Tags versus CustomData. For example, if I have a CatalogItem and want to track what “category” it might belong to. Would it be better to use CustomData and have a key of “Category”, or just put the category name in the Tags field? Programmatically, it seems like it’d be better/easier to use CustomData. But, I feel like that might be true for most cases, so I’m not sure where Tags might be useful/helpful. Any clarification would be very much appreciated.

In-Game Economy
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The fields are there as a result of requests from developers back when we first set the catalog system up, and can be used however you like. In a future update, we'll likely be adding filtering based on Tags and ItemClass, so that may also be a consideration.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.