question

merlineus avatar image
merlineus asked

External database using

In our game we need to store a huge amount of geospatial data, up to 50-100M records.

What is the recommended datacenter and DB with lowest latency to connect from CloudScript?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Sorry, we haven't done extensive testing on non-PlayFab databases to determine efficiency. Internally, we use DynamoDB, which provide excellent response times for very large datasets.

22 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

merlineus avatar image merlineus commented ·

I'm trying to connect to DynamoDB from CloudScript. Amazon requires all API requests must be signed with HMAC SHA-256 algorithm (here is examples on Python: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/general/latest/gr/sigv4-signed-request-examples.html). JS have no embedded implementation of that. Do you have any extension for this algorithm in your CloudScript runtime, or maybe you could point me how such connection could be made?

Thank you.

1 Like 1 ·
brendan avatar image brendan merlineus commented ·

Sorry, but our logic servers don't provide you the ability to load packages, so you would need to include the code for the HMAC SHA256 signing directly. There are a number of good examples available in GitHub.

0 Likes 0 ·
merlineus avatar image merlineus brendan commented ·

So I've done what you said and successfully generated and signed API request. But running http request from CloudScript generates an error with very low verbosity.

The code of my CloudScript function. The same request from Postman is running well. What am I doing wrong?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments
merlineus avatar image merlineus commented ·

So as you running PlayFab on AWS it seems most reasonable to pay attention to DBs and DB services using AWS too. What AWS region do you offer to use for lowest latency with PlayFab?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan merlineus commented ·

The core PlayFab service operates in AWS US-West-2 (Oregon), in multiple availability zones.

0 Likes 0 ·
merlineus avatar image merlineus brendan commented ·

Thanks.

Also as I can see there is no more MongoDB Addon in the Game Manager. Does it means that you have no more plans to provide this integration out-of-the-box?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
elangkamp avatar image elangkamp commented ·

I've been searching for the last couple of days on how to get the HMAC encryption and the hashing for the AWS to work with cloud scripting. Because we can't include external libraries I'm at a loss on how to do the encryption. Can anyone help?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan elangkamp commented ·

Since you've also posted this as a new thread here (https://community.playfab.com/questions/25324/encryption-for-dynamodb-access-in-cloud-scripting.html?childToView=25332#comment-25332), let's use that as the thread for your question.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.