question

Elias Fares avatar image
Elias Fares asked

Integrating PlayFab with Cocos Creator

Hi,

I have been making mobile games using the Cocos2d-x Cocos Creator game engine. My background is in JavaScript and I am interested in making a real-time multiplayer mobile game like Fun Run. This would be my first time making a multiplayer game and I am trying to figure out which backend game server I should use between PlayFab and GameSparks to start my "journey" in making my first multiplayer game.

I am comparing how easy it would be to integrate PlayFab with a Cocos Creator project. Any tips or links to tutorials on making a simple "first multiplayer game" using Cocos (JavaScript) and PlayFab would be awesome.

Feel free to share why you chose PlayFab over GameSpark too!

Thanks in advance.

apissdks
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

In general, you'll have better luck getting answers to your questions if you have something that's scoped a bit more granular. In general, I would recommend starting with the Getting Started Guide for whichever language or engine you're working with (in this case, https://api.playfab.com/docs/getting-started/cocos2d-x-getting-started-guide).

But for your game, and to see what might help best, what are the features you're trying to create? What do you anticipate to be the biggest challenges?

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Elias Fares avatar image Elias Fares commented ·

Thanks for the reply.

I was using Cocos Creator which is Cocos2d-x but JavaScript based not C++. I think my team will be switching to Corona SDK. The feature I would like to implement are being able to play in real-time against other players. Do you know if the PlayFab Corona (Lua) Integration does that?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Elias Fares commented ·

For realtime interaction between players, I'd recommend either using Photon Realtime (if you don't need full server-side authority) or a custom game server.

1 Like 1 ·
Elias Fares avatar image Elias Fares brendan commented ·

Great, thanks for the reply. Now do you mean to use Photon directly or do you mean to integrate Photon with my game using PlayFab? Cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.