question

louisyeow avatar image
louisyeow asked

Recommended practise on Avatar location

Hi,

I am new to playfab and from my understanding playfab only stores user avatar url and will retrieve the avatar from the external url provided. This means that users has to store their Avatar to external site like gravatar.com however the process is not seamless because user has to go to the gravatar.com site to register first at the site before they can be able to provide the avatar url or a web request link to be called via CloudScript/client to be able retrieve the avatar. Please correct me if I am wrong.

May I know what's the recommended practice to manage user avatar using playfab?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Gravatar is just one way to do this - and you are correct that it would only work for players with an avatar set up in that service. So if you wanted to use it, you would likely offer it as one of several options for how to set up an avatar image in your game. You could also have players build an icon either in-game or on your game's website, saving it to a CDN on the website itself, or you could allow images from a number of other services, like Facebook, for example. It's meant as a generic URL that you can use however you like.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.