question

jeffsherin avatar image
jeffsherin asked

Returning character data with GetAllUsersCharacters

When I call GetAllUsersCharacters (or look at the characters returned in login), the response does not contain the character data. It just contains the 'CharacterId', 'CharacterName', and 'CharacterType' fields. So to get the full character data for each of them, I'd have to loop through and make a request for each.

Is there any way to get that data returned with the GetAllUsersCharacters request?

Character DataCharacters
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

That's correct - we do not poll for all data across all of a player's characters, as that would be more expensive of an operation. Along those lines, I would not recommend polling all of a player's characters unless it's rarely. What is the specific gameplay feature in question though? It's always going to be best to start from a high-level picture of what you're attempting to accomplish, so that we can advise on the best approach.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ju Lee avatar image Ju Lee commented ·

@Brendan is this still not possible today?

The use case I have here is for a monster-catching game like Pokemon. I would like to store each monster that a player catches as a "character". The reason I wouldn't want to have the monster as an item instead is that I would want each monster to have the ability to hold an item (just like in Pokemon).

@Brendan is this still not possible? One use case I have for this is creating a monster-catching game like Pokemon. I would like to store each monster a player catches as a "character". The reason why I would want to do this instead of an item is because each monster can hold an item (like in Pokemon). It doesn't seem like I could do this with items?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.