question

WESLEY JURICA avatar image
WESLEY JURICA asked

Why does't deleting players free their email?

I am currently in the testing phase. I order to test the sign in and create account process I would like to be able to delete accounts and then reuse the test email to make new accounts. When I delete a player, that email is no longer able to be used and returns an "email is in use" error.

Anything I can do about this?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

It actually does, it's just that it takes some time. Right now, the "delete user" option actually places that player account in a queue for deletion which is processed periodically. So for example, if you try using that email address now in the title, you should find that it works fine. I've got an open work item to review this implementation with the team, to see if we can shorten up the actual deletion time.

7 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

WESLEY JURICA avatar image WESLEY JURICA commented ·

Thanks Brenden. That would certainly help with testing. I'm currently working on adding the user's selected username at the same point in time as they sign in with Facebook. Because AddUsernamePassword requires an email address, I have to pull that from the user's Facebook account. Then because the email takes some time to be deleted on your end, this ends up taking some time to test over and over.

0 Likes 0 ·

Just curious, approximately how long does this permanent deletion currently take?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan WESLEY JURICA commented ·

It depends upon how many users are in the queue for deletion. If it's a lot, it'll take a few minutes. If not, it should be seconds. One thing to bear in mind is that "deletion" is a title-level operation. The player account that hosts the links to the various authentication mechanisms is at the Publisher ID level - that way, a player who has played any of your games and linked up Facebook, etc., can use those same authentication mechanisms in any of your games and so be linked to the same Publisher ID level account. This allows you to share data cross-game using UserPublisherData, for example (for cross-title rewards, etc.).

So for example, the account is still there, and the Facebook link still connects to it. So until the deletion process is complete for the player account in that title, you can't re-use that Facebook account in that title. I've filed a work item to have the state of the account added to the Game Manager, to make this more visible.

0 Likes 0 ·
WESLEY JURICA avatar image WESLEY JURICA brendan commented ·

Thanks again Brendan. Unfortunately the email has not yet been released/deleted after almost 3 hours. Unlinking a Facebook account from a profile and then deleting that profile takes a few seconds (like you said) for the Facebook account to be available again for testing. Deleting a profile that was created with LoginWithEmailAddress does not release the email.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Thank you! It's all cleared up for me now. The solution I'm going to use is making some Facebook test users (https://developers.facebook.com/docs/apps/test-users) that way I can test registering email addresses automatically after signing up using Facebook accounts.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.