question

glen avatar image
glen asked

Guild Implementation ideas

A few ideas which may help make Guilds more feasible with PlayFab:

1) Chat handled by Photon Chat

2) Allow Photon Chat Webhooks with Cloud Script for caching/saving. Allow Cloud Script functions to decide what to cache and what to discard.

3) Exclusively a paid feature, not available for free because of how server heavy it inherently is.

Personally I think the combination with Photon Chat could be a big help. Any type of string can be sent via Photon Chat, including JSON strings. This gives a lot of flexibility, it could be used to show a battle request, a trade request, or any other specific element. In combination with Webhooks and Cloud Script we could choose to always save/cache important messages over less important ones. Eg: trade request vs basic chat message.

I'm sure the PlayFab team has been looking at Guilds in-depth, but I thought I offer my thoughts in case they help.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Yes, we'll be working on our guild/team/clan implementation later this year. We're aiming to have a range of features common to that type of feature - permissions based on roles, guild storage, guild leaderboards, etc., but you are correct that Chat would still need to be enabled via Photon Chat. The new data system we are working on (more on that in the coming weeks) will be the foundation which will allow us to move forward with this, so we're pushing to get it done as soon as possible.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

adoyon avatar image adoyon commented ·

Do you have a timeline on that by any chance? We are implementing Factions in NITE Team 4 (new Black Watchmen expansion) and are hesitant to create our own backend if you guys come up with it soon.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan adoyon commented ·

Sorry, but I'm afraid that until something is in active development, we can't really provide any kind of forecast on the delivery date. Having someone take a hard dependency on a date we're not highly confident in would be a bad idea all around - as a live service, our schedule can change quite rapidly. We're currently working on an updated data system which will be the foundation of the guild/team/clan implementation.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.