question

grahamwatson avatar image
grahamwatson asked

Server authentication flow?

Hi,

I've read https://api.playfab.com/documentation/server/method/AuthenticateSessionTicket, but I'm wondering if you can advise on recommended flow for this call?

I am currently thinking that I need to send the auth ticket from my client to my server as part of the initial session joining handshake, then have the server call AuthenticateSessionTicket before deciding whether to accept or reject the connection. If it accepts, then the server should store the PlayFabId from the response, so that it can use it in future server API calls such as UpdatePlayerStatistics. If it rejects, the server should boot the player from the session, and probably log the bad login somewhere.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Regards

Graham

Authentication
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The first question is, are you using our Matchmaker? If so, you'll actually want to use AuthenticateSessionTicket, since that will tell you whether or not the player legitimately should be joining the session. And that API call returns the player info, which you can save locally for future use.

Otherwise, you'll want to have a way to check with your matchmaker as to whether the player should be there, part of which should indeed be checking the player's session ticket using the API call you mentioned.

But in either case, I would definitely log the activity to your server log file - more info is always better. :)

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.