question

darrenbowen avatar image
darrenbowen asked

How do externally hosted game server heartbeats work?

Hello.

I'm attempting to hook-up PlayFab's matchmaking server API to externally hosted game sessions and I'd like to use the heartbeat feature to remove the server it is no longer responding, but it doesn't seem to work as I expected.

I am using RegisterGame to inform PlayFab when the server starts, and I can see my server listed when I call GetCurrentGames.

Now, the docs for external game servers say that I should call RefreshGameServerInstanceHeartbeat regularly as failure to call this after two minutes will result in the server being removed from the Matchmaker registry.

This is exactly the behaviour that I want, however, it seems that my servers never actually timeout, so without calling the above method, the server still exists in the registry days after it was originally registered.That is calling GetCurrentGames still returns the server when it should have timed out and been removed from the list automatically.

Is there anything which needs to be done to enable this feature or have I misunderstood how it works?

apisMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Please see this thread for more info on this: https://community.playfab.com/questions/8067/automatically-terminate-stale-user-hosted-serversa.html. In short, if you provide your Title ID, we can get you set to the correct termination timeout. We'll have the timeout globally updated soon, as well.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.