question

Thomas Brown avatar image
Thomas Brown asked

How do you login with GameCenter and GooglePlayGames?

I have looked pretty extensively at the documentation and it looks like there is no easy way to sign in through these two services.

I see that you have LoginWithGameCenter and LoginWithGoogleAccount but they don't work as I would have anticipated.

I figured the LoginWithGameCenter method would pop up some sort of GameCenter login window for the game. Instead it looks like I already have to have the users GameCenter id.

It also looks like the LoginWithGoogleAccount method is a Google+ account rather then a Google Play account.

This is a bit frustrating considering these are the most prominent ways players of each platform typically login for games and there is no clear cut way to do this.

Sorry if I'm coming off rude, I really love the service! I'm just a bit disappointed that it seems as though no leaderboard solution has yet figured out a simple intuitive way to integrate these services into Unity.

Thanks so much in advance for any help given!

P.S. I have tried the open source GooglePlayServices plugin, which is really nice, but I found our build was experience too many issues with it, which is why we are seeking out PlayFab.

Leaderboards and Statisticsandroid
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

PlayFab is entirely backend-based - we do not interfere in the presentation layer of the game in any way. So apart from cases where your game already has a presentation layer which presents the user with prompts based upon backend actions (like purchase confirmations in the Steam client), you would need to present the player with any interfaces required.

For GameCenter login, yes, we use the GameCenter ID. We'll be providing an update to make use of generateIdentityVerificationSignature later, as well.

For Google, we have both Google+ and Google Play Games support. Have a look at this guide for more info on the latter: https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/landing-players/sign-in-with-google.

Finally, can you explain your question concerning leaderboards more fully? We do provide leaderboards, which can be queried by position, around the user (N above and below), and by friend relationships. You can define the leaderboards to have min, max, sum, or last aggregation, and define reset periods which can also automatically drive rewards for top users. Can you clarify what in that service component you feel is missing?

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thomas Brown avatar image Thomas Brown commented ·

I'm sorry your first statement answered my concerns. I suppose I am hoping for a more full featured solution. Something to handle those front end situation ( getting access tokens from major platforms on sign in ) as well as what you already have.

You are all doing really great work and I have been really happy with the service so far.

In regards to the leaderboards, I meant something that handles these front end sign-ins, sign-outs (from major services) as well as a comprehensive back end that can tie these all together (which you guys have :) ).

I now have a bit more of a grasp on the solution you are targeting, which should help us when planning how to integrate it into our game.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter C avatar image Peter C commented ·

Hi Brendan, Thank you for your answer of the above post! Since our team are now also looking into a more secure GameCenter login system update that make use of generateIdentityVerificationSignature for our mulitplayers game, we are wondering when this update will be released?

Thanks & Regards!!

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Peter C commented ·

It's on our backlog, but we haven't had a lot of requests for it, so it's not in the schedule currently. What I'd recommend is voting on the Feature Request for it (https://community.playfab.com/idea/12921/provide-secure-gamecenter-login.html), to help with prioritization.

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter C avatar image
Peter C answered

Thank you Brendan,

Since our login system is not using email or username for 1st time signing in (i.e. no password required) but LoginWithIOSDeviceID OR LoginWithAndroidDeviceID for 1st time sign in, we are thinking LoginWithGoogleAccount & LoginWithGameCenter will be more flexible for those users that will enable them to play our game from more than one mobile device while retrieving data from just one single Playfab account.

Although we are already offering LoginWithFacebook / LinkFacebookAccount as an option for the user to sign in, many new users would prefer anonymous sign-in at the start and then choose the LoginWithGoogleAccount OR LoginWithGameCenter when they are ready for some in-app purchasing (i.e. linking with their account of Google Play Store / iOS App Store). However, when they want to invite some friends to play the game together, they would then use the LoginWithFacebook / LinkFacebookAccount options.

Hence, what would be your suggestion for our above-mentioned situation re the sign-in solution for the iOS device (i.e. without using Gamecenter login)?

https://community.playfab.com/idea/12921/provide-secure-gamecenter-login.html

Many Thanks & Regards,

Peter

4 comments
10 |1200

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Well, it sounds like you're saying you believe your users don't want to use Facebook (which would normally be my recommendation). So assuming the title isn't a Steam or Kongregate game, and knowing that username/password or email/password would be too much friction, that would leave Twitch and Google account login (which would still be valid on an iOS device).

0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you Brendan,

Well, we didn't mean the majority of our users will not want to use Facebook but we think there will still be some users would prefer to sign in anonymously for the 1st time (* Even some countries do not have access to Facebook). We're unfamiliar with Twitch, but certainly agree Google account login is great for Android users esp when it comes to Google Play in-app purchasing.

However, Google Play Game Services for iOS is deprecated ( https://github.com/playgameservices/play-games-plugin-for-unity ), so we hope that there will be other ways to help iOS users recovering / transferring their PlayFab account to a new iOS / Android device without the Facebook connection.

That's why we believe the secure sign-in system for Game Center (i.e. generateIdentityVerificationSignature) could be the better solution & we're curious to see other possible solutions from any mobile developers using PlayFab.

Cheers, Peter

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Peter C commented ·

At the moment, I would have to recommend Facebook, Steam, and Twitch for reliably recoverable account types (as well as Kongregate if you're shipping on their platform, and username/password or email/password). Again though, if you want to see the Apple Game Center secure login, I'd recommend liking the feature request post, linked above.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you Brendan,

Sure we will follow your recommendations using Facebook & Twitch options. & we are looking forward to the coming of this new Game Center feature.

Cheers, Peter

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.