question

heikohufnagl avatar image
heikohufnagl asked

UpdateUserData dataupdaterateexceeded

On the dashboard there is sometimes a peak indicating that UpdateUserData resulted in dataupdaterateexceeded. I want to ask where this comes from, generally too many calls on this function or maybe calls in too short intervals? It makes me wonder because we hardly call this function in our cloud script. Thank you for any advice.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

That error means that you're attempting to update player data too frequently. What specifically are you saving, and what's the logic for deciding when it needs to be saved?

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

heikohufnagl avatar image heikohufnagl commented ·

Thank you for the answer. At onLogin we always save the Location.CountryCode of the player by using UpdateUserData. If the frequent call is a problem we can call GetUserData first and only save the CountryCode if it has changed. In this context I have on more question... dataupdaterateexceeded... does this only occur when GetUserData is used too often or can UpdateUserInternalData also cause this error?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan heikohufnagl commented ·

If you're only saving this to the player's data on login, I can't imagine that would be the cause. The error isn't across the whole user base - it's specifically saying that there's at least one player account saving data too frequently. And yes, all forms of player data (regular, read only, and internal) all have this rate limit.

0 Likes 0 ·
heikohufnagl avatar image heikohufnagl brendan commented ·

Thank you for the info, this should help to fix the issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
mohsen avatar image mohsen commented ·

@Brendan How do you define 'too frequently'? I mean at which rate can I upload the data without being worried about the dataupdaterateexceeded error?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan mohsen commented ·

There are two different limits - a "burst rate" limit, and a "long term" limit. Only the burst rate limit has the error message, as there are too many factors around the long term limit for it to be a simple error response.

The specific error message called out in this post (DataUpdateRateExceeded) means that the title tried to update a single key value pair in a single player's data more than 10 times in 15 seconds. That's the burst rate limit.

But overall, the way to think about it is that you should not be making more than 2-3 dozen calls on behalf of a single player per minute, averaged across the lifetime of the player session. Bursts of calls are fine, but trying to continuously update data on a player at a high rate is extremely expensive, and cannot be supported in the existing model. If you need to work with us on a custom Enterprise contract where you have a higher rate limit, and where your contract accounts for the additional costs, we can absolutely do that. You can work with our sales team via sales@microsoft.com if you need that.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.