question

randy avatar image
randy asked

Team Matchmaking

I'm looking into using PlayFab for my game. My game is a competitive game that each game is a 5v5 team match. Matchmaking will use an elo scoring system. I'm allowing players to queue up solo, or create teams of 2-5 players. Ideally, I would have a team of 5 match up with another team of 5 with similar skill levels. A team of 3/2 players would ideally have another team of 3/2 join them + 1-2 randoms, if within the same skill gap, defaulting to filling first available people if the wait time is too long. And, of course, always matchmaking players within a geographic region. Then, once a match is made, it load balances the teams onto an open game server.

Looking at the API and community posts it seems like PlayFab only supports really basic get an individual player connected to a geographic relevant gameserver and no more advanced operations above that. Would a cloud script be able to accomplish these goals? Or would I have to spin up a custom service (and load balance it myself) to accomplish this?

From outward appearances the Matchmaker API seems really limited even for a custom solution. It seems like if I were to go with PlayFab I'd essentially be using it for your authentication system, inventory tracking, and a key value store. I'm getting the feeling I'd have to write my own matchmaking & load balancing service and just call PlayFab from the server to auth the player and grab their elo ranking/etc.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
1807605288 avatar image
1807605288 answered

We allow you to create your own Matchmaking server (separate from your game servers), which can run your own logic for determining how to connect players.

We don't yet have a dedicated guide for this, but we cover some of it here:
https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/external-game-servers

You probably want to implement your own game server, and your own matcmaking server, the latter using our Matchmaker API:
https://api.playfab.com/documentation/matchmaker

This should get you started, but it's a pretty advanced setup, so there are no shortcuts sorry.

Cloud Script cannot substitute this for you.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.