question

Montana Tuska avatar image
Montana Tuska asked

Server API get servers

So, a new fancy idea ran across my mind tonight and I am want to work out the specifics for tomorrow. I'll be working on a Server to Server socket, no problem there, however, I need a way to get another server's address, possibly based on tags. Since this a server, I could use the Client API with a user I always authenticate... but that feels hacky. Was looking at the Admin API, no options there. Matchmaker API has no options for getting servers at least either... Any ideas other then my Client API hack?

Thanks ahead of time! I know this might be a little strange... But I swear it'll make for a cool gameplay aspect!

apisCustom Game ServersMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

It might be best to describe in more detail what it is you have in mind, so that we can help to advise on whether it's feasible. The simplest way to query for the running instances is indeed GetCurrentGames, which is a Client API method. So you could have a fake profile that you use for this, but how exactly do you plan to use this?

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Montana Tuska avatar image Montana Tuska commented ·

So, I need to be able to get a list of servers as a server so I can connect a socket and communicate gameplay data between both for a short period of time. Preferably finding servers that aren't running certain gamemodes, as some should be more, unaffected. Nothing more then that. I was thinking another option maybe when using a custom matchmaker to query from him... But I'm just looking for what possibilities we have.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Montana Tuska commented ·

That's why I'm wondering what your actual gameplay design is. Being able to view this from a high level, rather than talking about implementation specifics, may well provide the information needed to highlight a better approach. But yes, you could use a Matchmake call or similar to get information on another active server, if that's what you need, or a custom matchmaker server could track on all available servers.

0 Likes 0 ·
Montana Tuska avatar image Montana Tuska brendan commented ·

Sorry about that, I'm working on a PvE prototype, and I'm implementing an ability to remove enemies from your current servers(in a certain area) and have them be created on another server, to create a PvP aspect without direct confrontation.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.