question

drewdough avatar image
drewdough asked

What systems does the Unity SDK support?

hi,

What systems does the Unity SDK support? Will Authentication, etc work on Nintendo Switch, PS4 & XBox as well as IOS+Android?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We're platform agnostic, as all our calls are Web API methods. So technically, any device that can make an SSL call can use PlayFab, so anything Unity can target should be fine. However, please be aware that some platforms (and even some publishers) have specific requirements concerning how you do authentication. For Playstation and Xbox, you must use their authentication methods. We have integrated with both platforms for authentication and entitlements - to get access to those calls, you can select PlayFab from middleware directory in SCEDevNet (for PSN), while for XBL, you'll need to email us your company info (to devrel@playfab.com), so that we can send a request to the Xbox team to verify your registered developer status. We're also now a registered middleware for Nintendo, and will be able to provide the integrated API calls for that platform shortly - let us know if you're a registered developer and would like to have early access to those and we can work with you on that.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

drewdough avatar image drewdough commented ·

Thanks for the fast reply Brendan. I am not an official dev of those systems yet, my goal is to first release the MVP on IOS + Android and then down the road port the game to Switch and other consoles. I wanted to see if PlayFab would be able to handle that.

When you say it's platform agnostic because all the calls are Web API methods, I'm looking for a little clarity on that. Does PlayFab wrap these Web API calls in a UnitySDK? Many providers such as Firebase or AWS Cognito wrap their WebAPI based authentication calls in UnitySDK, but then these API methods don't work or don't exist on certain platforms like desktop PC. Are you saying that the UnitySDK supports any platform that you can make it compile on? So it will run successfully? I'm talking outside of the exceptions you mentioned obviously.

Does Nintendo Switch work with the same Auth as Unity SDK, or is that a proprietary flow like XB and PS?

Thank you!

Drew

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan drewdough commented ·

We provide all our API calls in the PlayFab Unity SDK, which is designed to make it easy to use them as simple function calls. And yes, what I mean concerning our calls is that if the client is capable of making the call - and desktop PC definitely can - it can use PlayFab.

Nintendo, like Playstation and Xbox, require that authentication be via their network. We'll have their authentication integrated into PlayFab soon.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.