question

court avatar image
court asked

Custom Matchmaking: Players not showing up in Active Games

Hi -

I already have a matchmaking server in-place, so I wanted to make use of the PlayFab Matchmaking API to reflect the status of the players and be able to view it in the dashboard. After trying a few things, I'm either misunderstanding some of the docs, or there might be a bug with one of the calls. Using the PostMan collection, I'm able to reproduce the sequence of events. Here's what I'm doing

1. Create a GameMode/Version combo in Multiplayer. In this case I'm using Survival/test-version

2. Call Server/RegisterGame

{
    "code": 200,
    "status": "OK",
    "data": {
        "LobbyId": "5174896170163967513"
    }
}

As expected, I can see the server in the "Active Games" tab, with the details specified.

3. Call Matchmaker/PlayerJoined with the LobbyId (returned in #2) and a valid PlayFabId

{
  "LobbyId": "5174896170163967513",
  "PlayFabId": "2EEE6BD3EB131348"
}

Response:

{
    "code": 200,
    "status": "OK",
    "data": {}
}

At this point, I'd expect to see the player listed under "Players" in the "Active Games", but they're not showing up. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

-Courtland

PS Thank you so much for the PostMan collection. Makes testing things super easy!

Matchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Aha! Sorry, the Server/RegisterGame should have tipped me off. You're using externally hosted servers. The Matchmaker API is specifically designed for an external matchmaker which is used with our server hosting. I'm afraid it doesn't work with external hosting. We'll update the PlayerJoined call to return an appropriate error for that case.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

That actually sounds correct. Can you give us the Title ID in question, so that we can have a look?

2 comments
10 |1200

court avatar image court commented ·

TitleID is 781E (Survive-Dev). It's my internal test account, so feel free to try those calls on that title directly if you need to.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan court commented ·

Thanks - I've reproduced this and opened a bug on it for the team.

1 Like 1 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.