question

danielhines891 avatar image
danielhines891 asked

Unreal Engine Plugin 4.16 Support

I've downloaded the most up-to-date version of the Unreal Engine plugin and integrated it into my project. Currently, I'm using Unreal version 4.16.2 and Visual Studio Community 2017. When I compiled the plugin with my project, I was presented with a warning that the plugin was built with a different version of the engine. Also, compiler warnings about deprecated code in the plugin were displayed in Visual Studio. Is there a timeline of updating the plugin to support Unreal 4.16?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1807605288 avatar image
1807605288 answered

We just posted a blog about this:
https://blog.playfab.com/blog/visual-studio-2013-deprecation-notice

In short, not immediately. We expect to start early August, and hopefully have it updated within a week or two after that.

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

themastrchief avatar image themastrchief commented ·

Hi Paul. Do you have an update on the progress of 4.16 support? We are working on a multiplayer game in Unreal Engine 4.16.2 and we want to use playfab. We are new to the service. Is there any way we can already prepare our game for it, or start using playfab, while we are waiting for the update to arrive? Thanks in advance!

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan themastrchief commented ·

At the moment, we're still on track for mid-to-late August. If you have a look at our current SDKs, you'll see that our service is effectively all Web API based, so we integrated with the online subsystem in Unreal. If you're an experienced Unreal developer and want to get that going sooner, feel free to submit your changes to our GitHub. Our initial Unreal SDKs were the result of collaboration with our customers, so we're happy to review potential contributions and give credit where it's due. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Montana Tuska avatar image Montana Tuska brendan commented ·

"so we integrated with the online subsystem in Unreal" Currently, the Online Subsystem PlayFab supplies with the C++ SDK is just a nullptr. The Null Online Subsystem in the engine atleast provides LAN. This could be different internally, but, saying that you have integrated with the Online Subsystem with the currently available SDKs is a huge oversight.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments
1807605288 avatar image
1807605288 answered

UPDATE:

https://api.playfab.com/blog/cpp-sdk-updates

The Unreal Blueprint SDK has been updated, and the fixes will be deployed Monday, Aug 7th.

The Unreal Cpp SDK has been discontinued. Read the blog for details.

1 comment
10 |1200

Montana Tuska avatar image Montana Tuska commented ·

A most unexpected turn of events, though I have thought that a single Unreal SDK would make the most sense for a while. I'll wait until the released of the conversation guide to switch my SDKs and rebuild my OnlineSubsystem. Thanks for the warning, please do update whenever that guide comes available.

0 Likes 0 ·
1807605288 avatar image
1807605288 answered

There is now an upgrade guide

1 comment
10 |1200

1807605288 avatar image 1807605288 ♦ commented ·

UPDATED: Removed an unnecessary step about memory management (testing seems to indicate it's not necessary, and we added a fix to the next build which will definitely make it irrelevant)

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.