question

Dylan Hunt avatar image
Dylan Hunt asked

Best way to keep a blacklist against banned SteamIds?

I'm thinking store an array of steam ids in title data -- when logging in, check against the title data for steam id ban.

Can I do this with PlayStream instead? Catch a login and override it if title data contains blacklisted steam id? Does PlayStream happen async or events or sync? I'm wondering if I can return a custom decline msg if i catch in playstream with cloud code.

PS -- Speaking of bans, mac bans need to be formatted a certain way? We used xx:yy with colons.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Well first, (and while I know you're aware of this, others seeing this later could misinterpret the intent) Title Data should never be updated as a result of a player action. The ability to update Title Data from the Server API is specifically there to support updating Title Data for timed events via a scheduled task. Attempting to change it at a high rate would not provide the results you want, as it is a sharded, cached resource - meaning, when you make an update, there's a delay before all the endpoints the data is delivered from will be up-to-date with the latest information.

Now, for your specific scenario/questions:

PlayStream actions are triggered as a result of an event, and the events are triggered via actions using the service like login, purchases, etc., but we cannot wait on that full loop to complete a call, since that would introduce delays - it's all asynchronous. So you should expect there could be a short delay before the action fires.

For banning, why do you need to ban Steam IDs, specifically? If you're already linking the Steam account to the PlayFab account, the build-in banning system would work fine. Are you trying to pre-ban known Steam IDs? What you could do would be to have a Cloud Script which is called on login, or when a Steam account is linked which checks against your list, and triggers a ban of the user.

Finally, for MAC Addresses you should be able to use either delimited "NN-NN-NN-NN-NN-NN" or "NN:NN:NN:NN:NN:NN", as long as you're consistent.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dylan Hunt avatar image Dylan Hunt commented ·

Epic answer, thanks~

As for why Steam ids specifically, I didn't actually realize that banning them without an IP or Mac would actually also ban linked social accounts! That's awesome. I was originally doing it because we IP banned this guy (had a Steam account linked) and he kept returning with a new account + proxy. At first, I thought he kept switching Steam accounts to the new account. Now, I realize that the original account still has the same Steam link so it's impossible.

He must have been using multiple Steam accounts, if this is the case, and so I probably don't actually need this system anymore after reading this -- although still good to know that playstream is async and what to do in the future if I need to pre-ban steam accounts from strange folk.

Thanks again

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.