question

dragonfoundry avatar image
dragonfoundry asked

Stack of "rate limited" errors on 721f

Can you check it out, it doesn't make sense - there's nowhere in the client that can call getphotonauthtoken that many times in succession (I could believe something screwy with the updateuserdata ones, though there doesn't appear to be any way of calling that in a loop)

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Bear in mind that any calls you have in your title could also potentially be called more frequently, by someone with a hacked client - just the reality of online systems, and one of the reasons we have the limits in place per player (so that a bad actor in your game can't screw things up for the rest of your players). Whenever you see a rate limit error mail, it's a good idea to review your code, to look for ways the error could occur. But if you're only seeing it for a very small number of players, it's entirely possible that they are doing something you didn't intend (either a corner case in the actual game code, or full-on hacking).

Can you send me the mail in question, though? Looking at the event history for the title, I'm only seeing the ones for the user data updates.

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

dragonfoundry avatar image dragonfoundry commented ·

I haven't seen any mail. Just noticed in the dashboard. My guess is it's related to the ui hints issue on our end, but I'm not sure why there are photon errors showing up in the dashboard and not in your logs.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan dragonfoundry commented ·

No mail at all? There should be an occasional email to the mails defined in your Settings->Email Preferences for rate limit exceeded errors (not one for each, just sampled). Can you check to see if they're in your spam folders?

Looking at your dashboard, I see a few spikes of thousands of calls getting blocked. Given the dispersion (rare) and spikiness (extreme) that looks like someone trying to hack your game, probably by recording calls and replaying them in a tool. If you've reviewed the code and don't see any way it could be the game actually doing that, I wouldn't worry about it. Our rate limiting will prevent that user from causing problems.

0 Likes 0 ·

No, I don't see any emails at all from these

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan dragonfoundry commented ·

I'm sending a test mail to your registered contact email addresses. Can you let me know if you don't get it in the next hour?

0 Likes 0 ·

I got the email you sent just now

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.