question

glen avatar image
glen asked

Friends across different titles

There seems to be an issues of friends being shared across different titles, or TitleIds for more clarity. Here's the scenario:

- We have a Dev and Live version of our game in PlayFab.

- We create new profiles using a unique device id (or similar)

- The profiles created in both the Live and Dev versions end up with the same PlayFabId when generated from the same unique device id

- When a new profile is created in either the Dev or Live version and the PlayFabId of that profile already exists in the opposing TitleId (either Dev or Live) the friends are shared between the TitleIds.

The main reason this is a problem is because there is no guarantee that all those friends actually exist in both titles. The specific thing I'm seeing is that the Live version of a player's profile has friends that only exist in the Dev version so we end up with a list of friends in the Live version which are non-existent profiles.

Friends
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Since friends are defined at the account level, rather than the title level, that does mean that a player will be able to see all their friends, across all your games (so, if a player makes friends in game A, then plays game B, he'll automatically have those friend relationships in B). It sounds like the problem is that the friends show up, even if they've never signed into the title, is that correct? I'll get a bug filed on that, so that we get that corrected.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

glen avatar image glen commented ·

I think that's correct. Essentially the friends show up but those friends are non-existent profiles within that title. When I check in the Game Manager under the Friends tab of a user, those non-existent profiles are shown, but if I click on them I get this error:

"An error occurred while loading data from the server. PlayFab engineers have been notified of the issue and will investigate."

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan glen commented ·

Thanks, I've opened a bug on this, so we should have that resolved shortly.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.