question

kospy avatar image
kospy asked

Steam Application ID for demo

I need to be able to allow my demo players to connect to the same game on Playfab. I'm using Steam to login and the Steam Application ID is not the same between the full game and the demo.

If I go to the steam integration page I can only add one ID. How I can accomplish that?

Thanks for your help.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

When a player signs in using LoginWithSteam, we validate that user with Steam. Doing do does require the Steam App ID, which is indeed a one-to-one with the PlayFab Title ID right now. So you have a couple of possible approaches:

1. If you only need to share data, so that the player keep progress info, you could write the data to User Publisher (normal or Read Only) Data.

2. Use one App ID in Steam for both the demo and the full game, and use a catalog item the player gets from you (using a coupon code when they purchase the game, for example) as the check for whether they have the full version. Making sure you have some logic in Cloud Script or custom game servers that checks for the inventory item would be key to ensuring players can't cheat this, of course.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Brian Jordan avatar image Brian Jordan commented ·

Does anyone know if #2 is possible? I think Demos on Steam are a different App ID, though maybe it's possible to just tell PlayFab they're both under the same one (and handle validation manually)? It'd be great to still be able to have PlayFab link accounts to unique player Steam IDs

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.