question

info-7 avatar image
info-7 asked

How many external servers can connect to playfab using the secret token?

I currently have 1 server that is using the server API to interact with playfab. It uses ~50 minutes everyhour of the day.

I'm planning to add another service which is not that heavy in terms of workload but requires to make ~4000 calls to playfab in a 24 hour period.

Can I have 2 servers using the server API at the same time (which can be considered parallelism) or do I need to fit the requests while the first server is not making the calls?

I have another tiny question. Since you are using AWS as your backend platform, which region would be the best one to store a server that interatcs directly with Playfab in order to reduce the request time to the minimum?

apisCloudScript
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Last question first, as it's the easy part - the core PlayFab service is in AWS US West 2 (Oregon).

Now, for your custom game servers, a few quesitons:

1. I'm not sure what you mean by "It uses ~50 minutes everyhour of the day." AWS EC2 servers are billed as whole hours. So if you turn one on then shut it down after 5 minutes, you're still billed for an hour. What does it mean for your server to be running 50 of 60 minutes each hour, exactly?

2. The number of servers you have running, all using PlayFab API calls, it's really the key question. We have a number of titles that have quite a few servers using PlayFab all at once, as they're all hosting multiplayer game sessions. The real question is, what are the servers doing exactly, and how does it relate to the number of signed in users? If the servers are taking actions relating to gameplay sessions for currently signed-in users, that should be fine. It sounds like you're saying you have something that's not standard for dedicated game servers though, so could you explain in more detail?

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

info-7 avatar image info-7 commented ·

1. I have a program that interacts with playfab through the server API that runs once every hour and takes about ~50 minutes.

2. My plan is to add tournaments where players will sign in to our server and then we'll run the tournament in our server and then update all the participants data with the resulting prizes using the server API, this action will be done once per day. My question is if I can have 2 servers using the server API at the same time or do I need to use the ~10 min where the server one is not making calls to do the calls.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan info-7 commented ·

While servers have higher limits than client connections (since each can proxy for many players), that's not going to enable you to use them to perform actions across an entire user base - that's specifically what we've designed the PlayFab API calls and services for, so that they can be optimized for speed and data usage. For prize awards to players, you should use the provided Prize Table system (Leaderboards->Prize Tables in the Game Manager).

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.