question

abdulmunim2005 avatar image
abdulmunim2005 asked

NOOB's REQUEST

I am a beginner in game programming so, I was making my first game and at the end I started to implementing multiplayer with UNET then I finally after 2 weeks finished my server app and tested on a localhost and checked on a test game then to get it to my game I asked a question that can I upload my server app to get the ip address and port for the client to connect then got the answer affirmatively but I CAN'T FIND A SIMPLE TUTORIAL OR A VIDEO TO GET IT.I uploaded it to the builds section but man TOO many parameters that I do not even understand as a rookie,secondly The page I was told to look has outdated pictures Please it is a beginners request just get me a tutorial on youtube or direct instructions.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
1807605288 avatar image
1807605288 answered

Custom Game Servers are not a "plug and play" feature, and it will take a great deal of time and effort to set one up correctly. Likewise, there's a time limit for the amount of free server time you get before you have to pay.

This is the current guide:

https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/landing-tournaments/custom-game-servers

This is not a step-by-step guide for beginners, but instead an advanced guide which will help somebody already familiar with Game-Server architecture.

We have a demonstration project here:

https://github.com/PlayFab/PlayFabGameServer

This includes a "Chat" server, and a chat client. These projects collectively utilize the PlayFab custom game server feature.

Please note, this project is not designed to be a "real" chat server that works at any real scale. Most games utilize a different scaling mechanic that is incompatible with a true real-time chat system.

10 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

abdulmunim2005 avatar image abdulmunim2005 commented ·

look now I am getting "ArgumentOutOfRangeException" with api call "MatchMake"Where I try to find with region i.e. USCentral as my build and server and "StartNewifNotFound" is set to true,

any suggestions

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan abdulmunim2005 commented ·

What is the Title ID and build version you are using for the test, and what are the values of all the parameters you are passing into the Matchmake call?

0 Likes 0 ·

req.region = playfab.servermodels..region.uscentral;

Req.startnewifnotfound = true;

Then I do the matchmake function passing in the req and succes function and an error function.

0 Likes 0 ·

I don't follow - the screenshots you posted are for the server command line configuration. I've removed the image that had your game's secret key by the way, since exposing that would give anyone who had it the ability to modify your game however they liked. I'd recommend revoking your current Secret Key and generating a new one to be safe.

Also though, you shouldn't be putting values into the angled brackets in the command line. Those are parameters which we replace with the correct values when the server is started. So, you can leave that line as:

-title_secret_key=<title_secret_key>

Another reason not to try to override those parameters is that you cannot specify an IP Address or Port - those are assigned by us when the server starts.

For the Matchmake call, are you only passing in Region and StartNewIfNotFound? When calling Matchmake, you must either specify a LobbyId or else all three of: BuildVersion, Region, and GameMode.

0 Likes 0 ·

Can you send an example of the command line parameters

0 Likes 0 ·

The default command line parameters are the ones I would point to as the best example:

-game_id=<game_id> -game_build_version=<game_build_version> -game_mode=<game_mode> -server_host_domain=<server_host_domain> -server_host_port=<server_host_port> -server_host_region=<server_host_region> -playfab_api_endpoint=<playfab_api_endpoint> -title_secret_key=<title_secret_key> -custom_data=<custom_data> -log_file_path=<log_file_path> -output_files_directory_path=<output_files_directory_path> -batchmode
0 Likes 0 ·

no,I meant the filled one so I know how to edit mine and secondly while calling the registercustomgameserver api what hostip and port should I give from Where? and when I provided my own it gives an error then I generated the report I got Out of Memory Error

0 Likes 0 ·

That's my point - that is the command line to use. You should not be changing any of the angled-bracked enclosed terms, as that's how we automatically add the correct parameters. You cannot specify your own IP, port, log file directory, etc., and it's not necessary to put your Secret Key in - we take care of all of that. The only changes you should make are adding any parameters that you have which aren't in the list above, and changing "-log_file_path" to the ABSLOG version if you're using Unreal.

0 Likes 0 ·
fiestakiddo avatar image fiestakiddo commented ·

I almost post sampe question, and I more beginner than TS.

I interesting in playfab but I don't know what should I do.

Super simple and quick video tutorial without any distraction Will be great.

Like how to login with facebook, how to save coin, Hero exp, and gem to cloud.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan fiestakiddo commented ·

I would recommend starting with the tutorials you can find here: https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials. We do have some video tutorials here, as well (https://www.youtube.com/user/playfabnetwork/videos), and our tools team will be adding more in the future.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.