question

brendan avatar image
brendan asked

How to add an admin?

encounterstudios
started a topic on Mon, 13 April 2015 at 6:48 AM

Is there a way I can promote players to be admins/moderators in my game? I want to create "GameMasters" that can ban players, kick them out and such..

And.. How can I add a "Report player" function to my game? I noticed there is a function in the API that reports players, but where do these reports show up?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Best Answer
Brendan Vanous said on Tue, 14 April 2015 at 1:32 PM

Yes, a "GameMaster" key/value pair would be the way to go, but you would want to set this up such that only approved people can use it. So, for example, you could write it using the Admin API functionality, and make that tool only available to your internal team. Or, if you want other users to be able to promote GMs in your game, you may want to have this running in Cloud Script, with varying levels of authority - so perhaps a key "GameAuthority" with values like:

• "Player" - No special permissions.

• "Provisional GM" - A Game Master with the authority to use the in-game tools you've designed for the GMs, but not the ability to promote others.

• "Game Master" - Full GM access, including the ability to promote others, but limited to a certain number of times per day (or possible total number of promotions all-up). Can demote a Provisional GM to a Player.

• "Senior GM" - As for Game Master, but with the ability to demote a Game Master to a Provisional GM.

• "Admin" - Only members of your team. Have the ability to change the GameAuthority setting for any player, apart from other Admins.

Having this done in Cloud Script would mean that you would check their authority level in server-authoritative code before taking any action, so there would be no way for a client to cheat this.

7 Comments
Brendan Vanous said on Mon, 13 April 2015 at 7:10 PM

Normally, the concept of a Game Master is something you would implement at the title level, giving the player control over game-specific tools and logic. It is possible to add a player to your Studio in the Game Manager, and then provide that player with permissions on your title using the Properties->User Permissions tab, but that would be granting the user access to functionality in the Game Manager, which I would strongly advise against.

To report a player, you would indeed hook up the API you mentioned to the ReportPlayer API call. We'll be providing a report shortly (GetDataReport) which provides all the info on player reports which have come in, so that your customer service reps can work from that info.

Brendan

encounterstudios said on Mon, 13 April 2015 at 11:45 PM

I see.. I guess foing a client-side function for this isn't even to talk about? :) I mean, if I set a data key on a account to "GameMaster" and write code to see which player has the key and program the functions he could use at runtime, would that work? But a True/False variable client-side is easy to hack thou.. Would it be something you will implement in future updates?

Brendan Vanous said on Tue, 14 April 2015 at 1:32 PM

Yes, a "GameMaster" key/value pair would be the way to go, but you would want to set this up such that only approved people can use it. So, for example, you could write it using the Admin API functionality, and make that tool only available to your internal team. Or, if you want other users to be able to promote GMs in your game, you may want to have this running in Cloud Script, with varying levels of authority - so perhaps a key "GameAuthority" with values like:

• "Player" - No special permissions.

• "Provisional GM" - A Game Master with the authority to use the in-game tools you've designed for the GMs, but not the ability to promote others.

• "Game Master" - Full GM access, including the ability to promote others, but limited to a certain number of times per day (or possible total number of promotions all-up). Can demote a Provisional GM to a Player.

• "Senior GM" - As for Game Master, but with the ability to demote a Game Master to a Provisional GM.

• "Admin" - Only members of your team. Have the ability to change the GameAuthority setting for any player, apart from other Admins.

Having this done in Cloud Script would mean that you would check their authority level in server-authoritative code before taking any action, so there would be no way for a client to cheat this.

dragongamestudio said on Thu, 27 August 2015 at 2:52 AM

How do i add an Admin to my dashboard,

or can i do that from the dashboard?

johntube said on Thu, 27 August 2015 at 9:42 AM

@dragongamestudio :

first you need to add a PlayFab user given his "email address used to sign in to PlayFab" to your PlayFab studio :

click on cog icon top right of your studio from GameManager home then "ManagerUsers" -> "NewUser"

once added :

select title then "Settings" -> "User Permissions" to make him an Admin

dragongamestudio said on Thu, 27 August 2015 at 5:00 PM

i think there is no "ManagerUsers" in cog icon

johntube said on Thu, 27 August 2015 at 5:59 PM

the cog is in the studios page. please go to the link I gave you in the previous post.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.