question

Dylan Hunt avatar image
Dylan Hunt asked

Is there a PlayFab roadmap? What's the next "big thing"? Any teasers?

Heya PF -- Mostly curious, what is the next big non-mobile-exclusive feature(s) you're working on? I've been following the blog, but that seems current rather than future: Able to tease/leak a bit?

EDIT: Ooh, I missed prize tables somehow from a month or two ago. This is pretty neat.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Yes, we're quite fond of the prize table system. We showed it off at GDC, as well (we had hourly leaderboards as well as daily, with prizes).

There's always a lot going on, it's just that it's hard for us to talk about them in advance since we don't want people taking dependencies on dates we can't promise.

What I can say is that if you've been keeping an eye on the industry in general, you may have noticed that we're working towards some pretty exciting things in the analytics space (https://playfab.com/add-ons/watson-data-platform/). There's more in the works for being able to provide titles with ways to dig into their data, as well.

And I'd strongly urge folks to come to our Live Ops Connect event Monday, July 31st in Seattle (http://seattle.casualconnect.org/liveops.html). :)

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hjalmar Vikström avatar image Hjalmar Vikström commented ·

This is late but thanks for the answer. I think I made a point of not needing dates, you have to agree that it is problematic to find "news" about up and coming features from a couple of years ago and no mentions if they are alive later?

As a game developer I need to know if I a feature is being under development or if it is dead, since my project is long and I could postpone implementing the same thing on my side since I know that I will most likely get it withing a year or so.

Again, I don't want dates, but you could be a bit more transparent with what you are working on maybe? A roadmap stating "under development", "in the pipe for the coming year" or "not under development at the moment"

Anyways, that's something I would benefit from at least.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hjalmar Vikström avatar image
Hjalmar Vikström answered

Hi @Brendan! I'm hijacking this thread to ask the same question again! :) I would LOVE an up-to-date roadmap, I don't need dates, but I need to know what's in the pipe.

As a brand new user of your excellent services I'd say it is pretty easy to be confused about what new features and when/if they are coming.

I found the whitepaper (updated june 2016) and also the Playfab developer workshop video that talked about feature being released Q3 that I'm not sure is here yet.

So basically, I don't know if those features were scrapped, are implemented and I can't find them or if something else happened.

The by far best public roadmap I can give as an example is Unity's at https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap which I'm sure you are very familiar with:) Note that they are not at all promising anything in regards to dates and have a transparent view on what's on track, what's delayed etc.

The features that I've read about and that I am super excited about, but then realized that they were listed 2016, are:

1. CloudScript support for C#
  2. Game client log and error collection
  3. A Localization module
  4. Batch actions across all players in a segment
  5. Publish/subscribe support for PlayStream events by game clients
  6. Deployment of PlayFab into China

Can you help clarify? Please let med know if I should take these queries in another channel.

Thank you!

/Hjalmar, 10 Chambers Collective

4 comments
10 |1200

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

That's actually a great example of why we don't provide dates on upcoming features - as a live service, we constantly have to change our schedule based upon the needs of live games. Of the features you mention, 4 is already available - have a look at Scheduled Tasks - and for 6, we partnered with Akamai to test out their edge service. For anyone looking to have a game live in China, we can connect you with the folks there who can get you set up with a contract to use their service to route traffic to our services with high reliability and significantly reduced latency. The other features are all ones we are interested in enabling, but we don't have dates we can share right now.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hjalmar Vikström avatar image Hjalmar Vikström brendan commented ·

This is late but thanks for the answer. I think I made a point of not needing dates, you have to agree that it is problematic to find news about up and coming features from a couple of years ago and no mentions if they are alive later?

As a game developer I need to know if I a feature is being under development or if it is dead, since my project is long and I could postpone implementing the same thing on my side since I know that I will most likely get it within a year or so.

Again, I don't want dates, but you could be a bit more transparent with what you are working on maybe? A roadmap stating "under development", "in the pipe for the coming year" or "not under development at the moment"

Anyways, that's something I would benefit from at least.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Hjalmar Vikström commented ·

We try to always post to our blog on new features that have been released, so I'd recommend keeping an eye on that. We also posted our roadmap of upcoming features there last quarter (https://api.playfab.com/blog/playfab-roadmap-2018-q3-july-september-edition). Some of those pushed into this quarter, but those that haven't been released are still being worked on. We'll be posting additional updates/roadmaps there regularly.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.