question

Zhi Kang Shao avatar image
Zhi Kang Shao asked

RedeemMatchmakerTicket returns GameNotFound since yesterday

We've been using the matchmaker successfully in a development environment: game client sends a Matchmake request, then the client connects to the PlayFab managed game server instance and the server then successfully calls RedeemMatchmakerTicket with the lobby ID from the game server instance's command line parameters and the ticket sent by the client.

This has been working tor the past few months, and has been working for the current client+server build too, but since yesterday we're having an issue. The game server starts up correctly and the client connects, but when the server calls RedeemMatchmakerTicket that call returns GameNotFound. I verified that the correct lobby ID is still passed in (command line parameter game_id decimal string) and that the game client's matchmaker ticket is is received correctly on the game server. For example:

LobbyID = 8302156743495296161
Ticket = 3BD3828D5E76118-0-E4CD2263A259D1E6-ED9D-8D4B2542FB0D431-6CA8E3303E21C3B7.17AEA0BA6B32CBBB

The client can still join the game server, but right now we can't successfully redeem the ticket to let the matchmaker know that the client has connected. Because we've used the matchmaker successfully with the current build of the game and the issue started appearing while using the same build, I wonder if anything has changed on the backend that is causing this behavior.

Any information about what can trigger GameNotFound is appreciated too. I read in related questions that it triggers when the lobby ID and ticket pair don't match. I've checked that this issue happens with a freshly restarted client in his first and only Matchmake request, so it isn't an old ticket. Our Max instances per host is set to 1, so its not connecting to another lobby on the same machine.

Lastly, a recent change is that we've started testing with multiple servers. However, I don't think the Matchmake call will return the IP of one server, but with a ticket for a lobby on a different server.

Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Zhi Kang Shao

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

I've just run some tests on this, and RedeemMatchmakerTicket does work fine for the ticket on the first call. On subsequent calls on the same ticket, it does return GameNotFound, though - is it possible the call is being made multiple times?

9 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Zhi Kang Shao avatar image Zhi Kang Shao commented ·

We see in our logging that we only call it once per player. But we have just now done some additional tests and what we find there is that the call to RedeemMatchmakerTicket fails for the first player (who triggers the server creation), but it succeeds for the second player joining.

Using two accounts A and B, we let A start by calling Matchmake and join the newly created server. The server's call to RedeemMatchmakerTicket returns GameNotFound. When the server calls RedeemMatchmakerTicket for B, who joins later, it succeeds. Then we reversed the roles and this time, it fails for B and succeeds for A. We repeated this 5 times with the same results.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Zhi Kang Shao commented ·

That's interesting - I didn't see that in my own testing, but I'll re-test and follow-up.

0 Likes 0 ·
Zhi Kang Shao avatar image Zhi Kang Shao brendan commented ·

Thank you for looking into this. I plan to try adding a delay to the first redeem call. If it succeeds then, that could mean there is a race condition. Unfortunately, I'm about to leave on a trip, but I will check in as soon as I do have more data.

0 Likes 0 ·
starkgaminginc avatar image starkgaminginc commented ·

I can confirm my first attempt is having the same issue. As for my second attempt my code is a bit broken atm so I can't confirm that.

0 Likes 0 ·
Zhi Kang Shao avatar image Zhi Kang Shao starkgaminginc commented ·

Can you try adding a delay before calling RedeemMatchmakerTicket? If the redeem succeeds then, that would be useful info.

0 Likes 0 ·
Richard Martija avatar image Richard Martija commented ·

I started seeing this same issue yesterday, I attempted to add a 1 second delay before calling RedeemMatchmakerTicket but it still gives me GameNotFound.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Richard Martija commented ·

This does indeed look like a regression - our team is looking into a fix for it, which we'll push live as soon as possible.

1 Like 1 ·
brendan avatar image brendan brendan commented ·

Okay, the issue that caused the "Game Not Found" issue for the first matchmaker ticket on starting a server has now been fixed. Let us know if you still see any issues.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.