question

glen avatar image
glen asked

Remove Friend Error

Is there any known issue with removing a friend (server API call) when the player we are removing the friend from is friends with deleted player profiles? I'm not asking about removing the deleted profile but rather a valid profile.

I'm experiencing some sort of error in regards to removing a friend and it's very difficult to re-create or narrow in on the cause.

Friends
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

There aren't any known issues, no. What are the details of the error you're seeing? Can you post the actual call you're making and the complete body of the response from the service?

7 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

glen avatar image glen commented ·

This is the call:

server.RemoveFriend({ "PlayFabId": currentPlayerId, "FriendPlayFabId": friendId });

I can't provide the error response because we actually parse any received errors and pass them back to the client in a simplified format so we can inform the player. What we do is catch the error in a try/catch statement and do the following, with "e" being the error dictionary:

e["apiErrorInfo"]["apiError"]["error"]

The interesting thing here is that most errors can be parsed using this method. However with the error I'm receiving it can't because either: a) the error is null or b) e["apiErrorInfo"] == null. The result of this is that we pass back an "undefined" error state.

My best guess is that the error is coming from the RemoveFriend API call because I see this error in my dashboard where I'd expect to see it relation to when we're experiencing the issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
glen avatar image glen commented ·

I think I may have found the issue. We do a toLowerCase() string modification on all friend profiles, including deleted ones. Problem is the deleted friend profiles can't handle this because their TitleDisplayName is undefined so we get an error. That would explain why we were unable to parse the error response as expected. However the deleted profile in the dashboard does show a TitleDisplayName and it's not empty.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan glen commented ·

That sounds like the issue is that the Game Manager shows incorrect data for the friend, then - is that the only issue you're seeing on our side, now that you've tracked this down? I'll get a bug opened on that.

0 Likes 0 ·
glen avatar image glen brendan commented ·

From what I've noticed that is the only issue.

Another note; I don't see these deleted profiles in the list of players in the Game Manager players tab. But I can still search by playfab id or display name and find the deleted profile.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Daniel avatar image Daniel commented ·

Currently I am having difficulties with removing friend. When I am trying to remove friend using playfab website (Player - Friends tab) - it shows me "Error" popup. My title id is 1019

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Daniel commented ·

What is the PlayFab ID of the user whose friend you are trying to remove, and what is the PlayFab ID of that friend?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.