question

vrtestgames avatar image
vrtestgames asked

Can Playfab be used to prevent pirated clients from accessing Photon network services?

Hi,

I'm currently using PUN for my Unity game's networking. I'm looking into different backend services that might help with preventing pirated copies of my game from accessing the multiplayer network and increasing my network costs.

Would Playfab help with this? If so, could you give me a high-level description on how it would do so? On a separate note, I saw that Playfab might support activation codes, but I can't seem to find much material on it.

Thanks!

photon
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The PlayFab integration with Photon Cloud allows you to use our authentication call (to get a token for their service) and to use webhook calls from Photon Realtime to call into Cloud Script handlers hosted in PlayFab. Nothing about our integration blocks any of the functionality of Photon, but you can quite easily design your use of our services such that without a valid login from a purchased copy of your game, players cannot access the gameplay.

The way to do this would be:

• Generate coupons for your game which grant the user an item from your PlayFab-defined catalog. That item is then your "entitlement" to the player, for access to the game. Distribute coupon codes as part of fulfillment of a purchase of your game.
  • When the player signs into PlayFab, check that they have the entitlement item. If they don't, prompt them to enter their code.
  • Store data required by the title for gameplay in Title Internal Data, and have the client query for it via Cloud Script. The Cloud Script checks that they have the entitlement item and returns the data if they do.
  • Since a hacker could bypass that by taking a legitimate copy of the game and recording the data, have that data be something that changes periodically if possible. Also, have there be server authoritative logic that's part of the game flow (in Cloud Script or if you're using Photon Enterprise, in that logic), so that there's a check for their entitlement occasionally (no more than every couple of minutes, though).
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dylan Hunt avatar image
Dylan Hunt answered

I don't know if this works or not, but we have a login screen where you need to click the steam button to login. Clicking will generate an Auth ticket from Steam itself. Then it'll login via playfab via steam Auth ticket obtained. So they'd have to crack past both playfab and steam calls. If they can crack through that, they'll at least have to work for it ;D

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.