question

amazdeh avatar image
amazdeh asked

Bug when starting a game server using MatchMaker API

Sometimes when I call StartServer of MatchMaker API the server starts and the response's Error property is not null but the error type is success!!
I'm using .NET SDK for the MatchMaker and my title is DCA2
Yesterday I sent requests for
build: 0.175.1
gameMode: test175
Region: Japan
If you want to look at them that is. I am not fully sure if the HTTPResponse really was an error or not and I can share my project.
Also I don't know why an error type of success should even exist honestly speaking, Can you describe why?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Can you please provide the complete body of the response, so that we can have a look at the specifics?

13 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

amazdeh avatar image amazdeh commented ·

Unfortunately I didn't log the response body to file or storage. I can try to reproduce later on maybe but don't know when. Then if the .NET SDK allows me to get the raw response, I'll take it or use network monitoring tools to grab the response.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan amazdeh commented ·

If you haven't tried it, I'd highly recommend using Postman for occasional tests like that: https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/execute-playfab-api-via-postman. That way, you could just copy the response from the StartGame or Matchmaker call trivially.

0 Likes 0 ·

First of all thanks for postman hint, A friend of mine who works on web stuff showed it to me a while ago but I didn't remember it and wanted to go fiddler or wireshark route. :) Isn't wireshark a total overkill for this ?

Anyways, the issue was less big however worths fixing , when there is no additional servers available the .NET api returns success as error type. I'm sure about this specific case

{  "ErrorCode": 400,  "Message": "Invalid Request Parameters",  "Errors": {  "StartGame": [  "RegionAtCapacity"  ]  }}

Will let you know if I got any more info. Previously it seemed to me that sometimes servers are started successfully but the report is not successful

0 Likes 0 ·

Yes, Fiddler/Netmon/Wireshark are really only needed if you need to low-level debug the actual exchange of packets. If all you need is the contents of the response, Postman is plenty.

I'm not clear on what you feel the fix is in this case, though. The error returned is that you cannot spin up any additional server hosts, as you've reached your limit. If you've moved past the small number of server hours you get as part of the basic development account, we can set the max server hosts to however many you'd like us to, given that you're covering the actual EC2 costs at that point. If that's what you need, feel free to let us know what to set the max to.

0 Likes 0 ·

First we have multiple servers for the account and we are paying for the servers, On the actual issue this is actually correct as response, The error type in the .NET SDK shouldn't be something else other than success? Or at least shouldn't it have a message in error details? The .NET SDK is the issue not the API response.

0 Likes 0 ·

Correct - your server count (not hours, which is distinct) limit is set here: https://developer.playfab.com/en-us/DCA2/limits/GameServers/RunningHostedServerCount. If it needs to be higher, please do let us know.

For the specific error you're getting back, it sounds like you're seeing two issues:

1. No error details.

2. Response coming back as a success

Can you try making this call via Postman and send us the complete details of both the call and the response and send that to us? Being able to see the details of the actual exchange with the service would be very helpful to resolving this.

I should also point out that if the region in question has no active servers, that would also be a possible cause of this error.

0 Likes 0 ·
Federico Fortunacio avatar image Federico Fortunacio commented ·

Hi, i have the same issue...

Postman:

any solution?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Federico Fortunacio commented ·

"RegionAtCapacity" is saying "There are no servers available with a free slot, and I can't start a new server". So here are the things to check, given that you're using external game server hosting:

1. Have you turned on the using external game server hosting option in the Settings page?

2. Have you registered your servers with us via RegisterGame?

3. What GameMode did you register those servers as using, and how is that Game Mode configured in the title in PlayFab (Multiplayer->Game Modes)?

4. When players leave the server, are you using NotifyMatchmakerPlayerLeft to inform us that the slot is free?

1 Like 1 ·
Federico Fortunacio avatar image Federico Fortunacio brendan commented ·

mmm.. sorry but maybe i am a little confused.. i uploaded my private ue4 server to playfab (multiplayer-->builds tab) and i am trying to start an instance of that build with the matchmaking api, but i saw that the Client API has StartGame endpoint too.. so, what endpoint i should use? (i have enabled "Allow client to start games" on my cp)

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.