question

rob avatar image
rob asked

Server build not running

I used to be able to upload a server build and select a region and it would spin up automatically. My latest build doesn't seem to be starting though. It's listed in builds but no server instances are running. Any ideas?

Custom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

What's the Title ID, and can you confirm whether you either a) have hours remaining (if you're using the free development server), or b) have upgraded to have a custom limit on hours remaining (paying for your server usage)?

12 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

rob avatar image rob commented ·

ID is 448C and yes I have hours remaining on a dev account (0 of 20 used since it just reset today).

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan rob commented ·

Hm. I suspect there's an issue in evaluating the free server hours - we've got the engineering team checking into that.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan brendan commented ·

Indeed, we've fixed the issue, so you shouldn't run into this problem in future. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

0 Likes 0 ·

I've come back after the weekend and now all my server hours for the month have been used up :(

0 Likes 0 ·

Unfortunately, if you leave servers active in a region, that is indeed what's going to happen. Since this was due to hitting this issue, we've set your title to 40 hours for this month, instead.

0 Likes 0 ·
rob avatar image rob brendan commented ·

Thanks very much and also thanks for fixing.

0 Likes 0 ·

My servers are now spinning up but I don't seem to be able to connect to them. I get the right IP and port from the matchmaker but am unable to connect. No errors being reported on the server build, nor on the client.

It's worth noting that I have had test builds running before that I was able to connect to. Has something changed since you switched it to this new limited hours model?

P.S. The server hour allocation isn't very dev friendly! Especially since the default max games = 1 means that it spins up another server right away and instantly adds 2 hours of usage on for what was actually 5 mins testing.

0 Likes 0 ·

Yes, it's important to make sure you're setting your max instances and min available appropriately, as described in the tutorial for custom game server hosting. We have no way of knowing if it's possible for more than one instance of your executable to run on the basic instance type (given that it's relatively small), so we default to 1.

Nothing has changed in terms of the ports that are open on servers. Can you send us a wireshark capture showing the connection attempt?

0 Likes 0 ·
rob avatar image rob brendan commented ·

Never mind, managed to get it working, thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.