question

jamesmtl1 avatar image
jamesmtl1 asked

Can Playfab be used to build a dating app?

Hello,

We are looking at options to build a dating app. I've heard about Playfab in the past, and would be interested to know if it could be used for our needs.

More specifically, here are some design goals:

1 - Be able to create user accounts with various parameters (sex, age, body type, location, description, etc) and pictures;

2 - Be able to search for other users based on the same parameters, and return a list of users to the client;

3 - Be able add specific users to a list of favorites;

4 - Be able to communicate with others users via chat (plan to use anothr SDK for this such as Layer).

We thing that #1, #3 and #4 are totally possible with Playfab, but not sure about #2.

Thank you!

James

sdks
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Yes, I'd say your analysis is largely correct: 1) You can create player accounts and store arbitrary info, as well as tag users with data that becomes a part of their player profiles. 3) You can add players to a friends list (which is really a follower list by default). 4) You can use Photon Chat or similar to enable chat between players.

For 2), we don't provide a way to do arbitrary database queries. For a system that requires a lookup of all players matching a set of parameters, you would need to use an external data table for now, though you could populate this via PlayStream, given the Event Archive and Webhook capabilities. However, we will be providing more complex ways to filter users for leaderboards in a future update, which could provide this functionality, depending on your requirements. I can't say for sure when that will be available, but we are planning on expanding our "tournaments" functionality later this year.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jamesmtl1 avatar image jamesmtl1 commented ·

Thank you Brendan. That was our understanding about #2.

Would you have a suggestion in terms of how to build that feature? We'd like to keep things simple, using only one backend would be ideal but potentially not possible for our needs.

Should we look at a simple database service like AWS or BQ? Would there be a simple way to keep data in sync between Playfab and this external table? We would just need this table to perform the search/lookup and return a list of userIDs.

Thanks,

James

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan jamesmtl1 commented ·

If you need this feature in the near-term, I'd recommend using a Web API enabled database, like AWS DynamoDB, Azure Table Storage, or MongoDB from mLab. That way, you could write to it and query it from Cloud Script calls.

0 Likes 0 ·
jamesmtl1 avatar image jamesmtl1 commented ·

We'd need the feature in the next 3-4 months.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan jamesmtl1 commented ·

Given that we can't guarantee that we'll have the new filtering in by then, I would recommend using an external data table.

0 Likes 0 ·
chris2222 avatar image
chris2222 answered

We're you able to upload images and description? If yes how did you do it?

Were you able to upload images and description using Playfab? If yes how did you do it?

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.