question

brendan avatar image
brendan asked

Player reporting and banning

Brendan Vanous
started a topic on Thu, 13 August 2015 at 1:56 AM

Question from a developer:

Can you explain how players can be reported? Is it possible to report other players in a multiplayer game? How does banning a player work?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Best Answer
Brendan Vanous said on Thu, 13 August 2015 at 1:56 AM

Players can be reported by any player via the ReportPlayer API call, and yes, it can be used to report other players in any game - single or multiplayer.

You can check player reports via the User Feedback Report in the Reports tab of the Game Manager for your title. We'll also be providing more tools for managing player reports in future.

If you choose to ban a player based upon bad behavior, you can do this via the Bans tab when viewing any Player for your title. Just enter the number of hours you want the player banned and the reason (you can optionally add an IP or MAC address to ban, though we would only recommend this for PC titles where you're certain that's the action you want to take).

Brendan

1 Comment
Brendan Vanous said on Thu, 13 August 2015 at 1:56 AM

Players can be reported by any player via the ReportPlayer API call, and yes, it can be used to report other players in any game - single or multiplayer.

You can check player reports via the User Feedback Report in the Reports tab of the Game Manager for your title. We'll also be providing more tools for managing player reports in future.

If you choose to ban a player based upon bad behavior, you can do this via the Bans tab when viewing any Player for your title. Just enter the number of hours you want the player banned and the reason (you can optionally add an IP or MAC address to ban, though we would only recommend this for PC titles where you're certain that's the action you want to take).

Brendan

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Falcon Land avatar image
Falcon Land answered

Hi,

is it possible to Ban player from the client itself? It would be extremely useful when the client itself detects that player is way out of normal to ban itself. This would automate the process of banning many cheaters each day, which otherwise has to be done manually. 

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Banning a player is a pretty extreme action that most titles don't automate, as you normally want to have a human make that decision. At the moment, we don't offer a BanUser API method, but I'll add that to the request backlog. If you add this request to the Feature Requests forum, that would also let others vote on this, to help with prioritization. One thing, though - it might make more sense for this to be a Server API method, so that you call it from Cloud Script. That way, you could adjust the logic on the service live, rather than have to ship an update to the title, to change how it decides when to ban the player.

1 comment
10 |1200

Pranil GC avatar image Pranil GC commented ·

Is there a way to revoke a player ban from script in playfab ?

0 Likes 0 ·
lingzhuzhang2020 avatar image
lingzhuzhang2020 answered

Hi,

Could you slightly explain how does ban-with-MAC work? I tried ban myself with MAC address, but it worked the same way as ban myself without MAC address.

I tried to do this because I know there are people selling cheating services to players. So I hope I can figure out a way to find those sellers' device and ban their device. Is it possible?

Thank you.

1 comment
10 |1200

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Banning by MAC Address does exactly that - it adds the MAC Address to the ban list. In general, it's not really very valuable, since the MAC Address can be changed on most clients. The IP Address is generally a better way to go, if you're trying to prevent a player from creating a new account, if it's a PC game. For mobile, I'd have to recommend only using the account banning, since the IP Address changes on mobiles as they move around.

Most of the time, banning the account is all you have to do, since that removes all the progress the cheater made. But the better question is, what is the cheating behavior and are there other things you can do to prevent it (like move some of the logic to the server side)?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.