question

Dale Strickler avatar image
Dale Strickler asked

Push Notice issue on some platforms, with Unity?

Recently I have gotten into a Unity project designed to run on iOS, Android, WebGL, Amazon Fire, and Facebook app. The previous developers said they could not use PlayFab for push notices because PlayFab would not support Facebook apps. (At least I think it was Facebook it might have been WebGL in general or Fire version of Android? I am forgetting now.)

Are there any known issues with push notifications, in Unity, on any of these Platforms? The code is a bit of a YAS (Yet another SDK) mess and I would love to pull out the other push notification system if we really don't need it.

Push Notifications
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We support Push Notifications for iOS (APNS and APNS_SANDBOX) and Android (GCM) currently. We will be adding more platforms to our Push service in future, but we don't have that on the calendar just yet.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dale Strickler avatar image Dale Strickler commented ·

Any chance this is on the calendar yet?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Dale Strickler commented ·

Can you loop back with your team to get specifics on what their expectations are, exactly? Facebook Push Notification is only available on iOS and Android, both of which are fully supported by our existing Push Notification service, and while newer versions of Chrome support "Push" (of a sort), it's not a standard, nor is it available on other browsers. I'm very much in support of making sure you have all the ways possible to communicate with your players, but I'd like to be clear on exactly what is being requested, in this case.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dale Strickler avatar image Dale Strickler brendan commented ·

We are really looking for in-app push in the case of WebGl builds. If the WebGl app is opened and running we would like to have the ability to pop up a message that was pushed. The use case is invitations. We would like one player (on iOS) to be able to invite another play (on WebGl) to join in a 2V2 game. We need to push the invitation to an app instance and the push needs enough data content so we know how to place the two players into a cohort. We are looking at using the Entity API to share data between the players in the cohort while they play the game together.

Oh note, if the app is not active or does not have an active PlayFab login it would be fine for the push message to be lost.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.