question

My Game Studio avatar image
My Game Studio asked

Custom Game Server: how and when to Tell the Server the matchmaketicket

Hey there. I'm Just working on my custom game Server and anything is Working fine until Connecting with a Client. How does it Work to redeem the matchmaketicket!? How does the Server get the ticket, which the Client received as result of the ticket request and when to call the redeem API call. What is the exact Order of the steps.

Thank you

apisCustom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The steps would be (assuming you have at least one server host running):

• Client calls Matchmake or StartGame, receiving a matchmaker ticket and info on the server instance (IP Address, Port)
  • Client connects to the IP/Port given (usually either UDP or TCP) and passes the matchmaker ticket to the server
  • Server calls RedeemMatchmakerTicket to verify that the ticket is good, and that the player can legitimately join the server
  • If the result of that verification is good, the server adds the player to the local game session and, if not, drops the player
3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

My Game Studio avatar image My Game Studio commented ·

Ok thanks...and how to pass the ticket to the server. Is there an API call or simply via for example UNET message send/receive methods??

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan My Game Studio commented ·

There's no API call as we don't proxy messages to the custom game server - the client connects to it directly. So you would use any network library that allows you to connect to a server by IP Address and Port, and send a message to it.

0 Likes 0 ·
My Game Studio avatar image My Game Studio commented ·

Ok thank you

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.