question

My Game Studio avatar image
My Game Studio asked

Custom Game Server Basics

Hey there! I have some basic questions about custom game server hosted by PlayFab. How does this exactly work:

- Can i run an authoritative unity instance on it to take care of physics and collision

- How when starting unity instance on the server do the instance know to which port it should listen

- Can I use a server as well programmed with the Low Level API of Unity or do I need a Network Manager component

- and what are the API calls needed on the server instance, to allow a connection from the clients

sorry for those probably stupid questions, but I struggle a little bit with starting over...

apisCustom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

A custom game server specifically runs your code. As long as it'll run on a Windows Server 2K12 R2 instance, it'll work fine - there are no other restrictions (apart from our basic terms of service, of course). We have a comprehensive tutorial on using custom game servers in PlayFab (including the details on Port usage) here: https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/landing-tournaments/custom-game-servers.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.