question

mgambrell avatar image
mgambrell asked

dashboard UX issue - silent delete of added items with no price

It seems that adding items with no price (or removing all prices from existing items) causes those items to be deleted from the store with no fanfare. That's really no good. It's somewhat understandable in the case where I just removed prices, but since I'm adding a bunch of items, I just wanted to save my work before setting prices and editing a bunch of custom data, and now all my adds are gone.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Since stores are specifically subsets of items from the game catalog with distinct pricing, items with no pricing at all don't actually have any data to save. I'll open a request to update this, but please bear in mind that this would mean that a query to get the store in question would mean that some items may not have any defined pricing (so, VirtualCurrencyPrices would be null).

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mgambrell avatar image mgambrell commented ·

Uhh it could be an empty object. But it doesn't really make a difference to me. It seems like it should be possible to have items with no prices. It doesn't look to me that stores are subsets of items from the game's catalog with distinct pricing--it looks to me like they're lists of items with pricing, extra information, and specific ordering information. For the pricing to be special is a real surprise (the only hint is that at least one item needs to have a price set or it won't let you save the store..)

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan mgambrell commented ·

I'd recommend checking out our tutorial on stores: https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/landing-commerce/stores. It talks about the use of stores in more detail. But yes, you are correct that the stores also have ordering, and can optionally have custom data.

0 Likes 0 ·
mgambrell avatar image mgambrell brendan commented ·

While we're on the subject, it's weird that a store has to have something in it. Why can't I have a store with no items? What if I want to use the segment overrides to remove all the items from the store for a given player? I have to have a workaround of a dummy item my game is programmed not to show. Not that I anticipate doing this, it's just all very strange.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.