question

hampusbankler avatar image
hampusbankler asked

Clone title

When my (free) beta is finished and I want to launch my live version of the game (on Steam), what's the recommended procedure? I want to delete all my users' accounts. But ideally I'd like all cloud script, settings, title data and so on to be intact.

If I could create a new title, cloning my current one just (except the users), that would be perfect I think. Then the old title could remain in there for reference and backup if something goes wrong. But I don't know if cloning titles is possible?

What's the best practice?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The most common technique is indeed to have separate Title IDs for your development and live titles. That way, you can continue development post-launch without impacting your live title. And because all the Cloud Script, Title Data, Catalog, etc. settings are available via Admin API calls, it's usually just a matter of changing your Title ID in your build process to get everything set up correctly.

We will be providing tools for cloning titles with all their configuration settings in a future update, to simplify this process.

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

julianscott avatar image julianscott commented ·

Hi,

When I do this, everything works except for granting items via script, and also google purchase validation.

I fixed the grant items by adding a specific catalog id, where previously it was blank (I only have one catalog).

I am assuming the receitp validation / buy items issues is in the same realm as the other problem, but i can't specify catalog IDs in that.

As far as I can see i have cloned the title exactly. I can't find any differences between the two. I set the catalog in the cloned title by downloading the json from the first title and uploading it to the clone.

Any ideas?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan julianscott commented ·

Please make sure you have selected a Catalog as your primary. The way the system is designed, you have all items in your game in a single catalog (hence, the reason it's "CatalogVersion" and not "CatalogId"), and you have it set as the primary. Then, when you need to make a major update that changes the catalog, you create a new catalog version and once you're done testing, make it the primary. The error you're seeing with granting items and receipt validation are both because there's no primary selected.

0 Likes 0 ·

I'd read all about that before, and I'm pretty sure I have primary selected. I tried this twice, on E436 and 7DAE. They are both copies of F0B1 which works fine.

Unless I'm missing something obvious?

(btw, the 'stores' in there are not being used)

0 Likes 0 ·

We're getting an out of bounds error on those two titles, when you try validating the receipt. Can you send the specific receipt data you're using for those cases to us at our devrel@playfab.com account?

0 Likes 0 ·

Annoyingly I can't get to do this at the moment.

One thing which should be easily breakable is to award an item from CloudScript. That doesn't work either unless a CatalogID is sent too. (which is what made me think this is where the error was in the first place)

0 Likes 0 ·

Okay, what's the Item ID you're trying to award, the PlayFab ID of the user, and the Title ID you're testing?

0 Likes 0 ·
rajeshl avatar image
rajeshl answered

@Brendan, you have mentioned a tool to copy data from one title(development) to another(Live). Could you please share the same? Also is it possible to check changes made in development and selectively push them to live title?

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.