question

mgambrell avatar image
mgambrell asked

small json editor usability bugs

(tested in chrome)

Bug A.

1. Edit a json

2. Note the cursor is at the top left of the document, but it's grayed, because the focus isn't there

3. Hit ctrl+A. It doesn't work right, because the focus was elsewhere

so, I tried it this way.....

Bug B.

1. Edit a json with a short amount (several lines)

2. Drag from the bottom right of the json window toward the top left (the goal being to select all the text). Don't let go of the mouse button yet.

3. Actually, you should drag beyond the top left of the popup window, into the the page behind the popup window. The point is to whip your mouse up without paying close attention to where you stop.

4. Release the mouse button

5. The popup disappears!

Expected: the popup does not disappear.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

So for A, the request is that the focus should be in the text window when the JSON editor pops up. I'll file a work items for the Game Manager team on that.

The issue with B is that a mouse up outside the popup window is specifically detected as a mouse click outside the frame of the popup - with any click outside the frame dismissing it. That's the default behavior. If we can make it so that the popup cannot be dismissed without explicitly clicking on the close (x in the upper right corner), Update JSON, or Cancel buttons (or pressing enter or escape), would that be your preference?

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mgambrell avatar image mgambrell commented ·

a mouse up should not be detected as a mouse click. Dismissing the box by a click outside the window is fine with me -- by a click, not an up. I wouldn't ask for the X,Update,Cancel buttons to be the sole mean of closing it--i can see why someone might prefer to dismiss it by clicking outside it. Although that wouldn't be my opinion. At any rate, that's a subjective question, and mouseup->click being wrong isn't.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan mgambrell commented ·

Understood, and I will be asking the Game Manager team to look at whether there's another module that might not interpret it that way, but I wanted to check your preferences to be clear on this.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.