question

dietmarhauser avatar image
dietmarhauser asked

UpdatePlayerStatistics automatically creates Leaderboards?

Hello,

I am currently using all 25 statistics of the free tier for a pre-launch game. The final game will have more than 25, so I already send "UpdatePlayerStatistics" calls for the statistics that will be there in the future. It seems that sending a statistic name that has no leaderboard associated will try to create one and in turn generate an "over the limit" event that sends an email to everybody.

Is there a way to stop "UpdatePlayerStatistics" from creating new leaderboards?

Leaderboards and Statistics
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

All statistics in PlayFab are leaderboards - they're one and the same. When you write to a statistic you've never written to before, that creates a default definition for that statistic ("Last" aggregation, and no reset period defined). If you already know what tier your title will use at launch, please feel free to reach out to us to get a contract in place for it. We can set you to the correct limits for your tier, and not charge you for that until you actually go live.

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

dietmarhauser avatar image dietmarhauser commented ·

I see, thanks. Besides the emails, is there any downside to hitting the limits?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan dietmarhauser commented ·

Once you hit the limit, you cannot create additional leaderboards/statistics. So there wouldn't be any point to try to make the call once you hit the limit.

0 Likes 0 ·
dietmarhauser avatar image dietmarhauser brendan commented ·

I was asking to gauge how urgently I'd need to fix this. If besides the emails nothing bad happens, I can live with that another week or two.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
adnannazir2012 avatar image adnannazir2012 commented ·

What if I have a 25 total worlds and each world contains 100 levels in my game.

Can I manage it through the free tier ???
1. I create all 25 worlds and use the version for levels ? like version 0 for level 1, version 1 for level 2 and so on ?
2. Is it possible to write to previous version and get leaderboard of any version at any time ?

I am sorry, this question might not be making sense as I am not really clear about stuff.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan adnannazir2012 commented ·

No, only one version of a statistic is available for updating. If you want to track 2,500 distinct player scores, you would need 2,500 statistics. That's far outside the scope of what you can do in the free tier - you would need a custom contract with us which accounted for the high number of statistics.

If you can't afford to be in a paid tier, I'd have to recommend scoping your project to something that will fit in the free limits, such as only having one score per world, having it be the sum of the player's scores in all the levels.

1 Like 1 ·
dietmarhauser avatar image
dietmarhauser answered

My solution to conveniently manage leaderboards via the game manager:

Before sending a new stat, I call "GetPlayerStatisticVersions" to find out if that stat has been used before

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.