question

apple avatar image
apple asked

User generated content: upload (with attributes) / search content (using attributes) download / vote (add some text notes)

I would like to use Playfab for following:

1) Users can create content in client application (levels, assign some attributes) and upload it to storage

2) Users can request content list (with attributes: difficulty/creation time/popularity/etc) and download selected content.

3) Users can request attribute modification (vote, add some notes using text)

Does playfab provide such capabilities? If yes - please point me at some kind of examples.

Thanks!

Regards, Alex

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We do not currently provide a complete User Generated Content solution in PlayFab. However, as one of the folks involved in developing the UGC policy and technical guides for Xbox Live when I was there, I'm happy to help folks in designing for that uniquely dangerous space (the level of danger being directly related to the amount of freedom you give players in creating the content, of course).

To start, you can use the PlayFab Content service to host UGC, but you'll need a good plan for how you manage it. We'll be providing data systems in a future update that will allow for aggregated scores on an entity across many players (which you could use for rating and reporting systems on content), but for right now you would want to use an external data table (which you could connect via Web API using Cloud Script and custom game servers). You'll definitely need to use custom game servers for the actual upload, as you'll need to have a way to validate the content before saving it to the Content service for others to access (so that your game doesn't become an illegal file sharing service).

So, for 1 - yes, using custom game servers and the Content service.

2 - Downloading from the Content service, but listing (including attributes) from an external data table (for the near term).

3 - Your external data table (again, in the near term).

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

apple avatar image apple commented ·

Brendan, I would like to know if situation with UGC has been changed (almost 10 month passed))?

Or should we take AWS/Azure and made such system or Playfab still have advantages and can provide benefits?

No we in bad need of UGC solution - and will start to use something next 2 weeks!

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan apple commented ·

Our schedule isn't determined by when something is requested, but rather by the priority of the things in our backlog. Priority is driven by a few factors - overall impact to the development community, number of developers who've asked for the feature, and our own strategic needs for the service. A full UGC system is not something that's on our roadmap for the coming months, so I would recommend that if you have an immediate need for something like this, that you would need to use the design I described above.

0 Likes 0 ·
kylemc@microsoft.com avatar image
kylemc@microsoft.com answered
10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.