Idea

Justin Heasman avatar image
Justin Heasman suggested

MongoDB

Hi,

I was wondering if you have any information regarding the soon to be released MongoDB Addon?

Thanks, Justin

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

nancyrai37 avatar image nancyrai37 commented ·

Have a look at SSIS MongoDB maybe something there.

0 Likes 0 ·

6 Comments

·
brendan avatar image
brendan commented

Anyone who clicks the "let me know when this is available" button in the MongoDB page in our Add-ons Marketplace will be informed as soon as it is available (and we're using those clicks as "votes" of a sort in our prioritization process). We don't have a release date that we can state yet, as we have a policy of not giving "estimated release dates". That would inevitably result in someone taking a dependency on a date we're not 100% certain of, which would result in that title missing its planned release date if we don't deliver on that estimated date. So, it's not something we can afford to have happen. For all features which we've stated are in our backlog or a future release, your best bet is to make sure we have the info on your planned release dates (which you can send to devrel@playfab.com, for privacy).

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Justin Heasman commented

I think I was really just wondering what kind of integration / features the MongoDB addon was likely to provide.  I like Big Data and NOSQL so I was just curious :)

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan commented

We're in the process of finalizing the design for this now, but you can expect that we'll provide a convenient way for you to access (update/query) a MongoDB instance from Cloud Script. If you have specific scenarios you'd like to enable with this, please be sure to let us know, so that we can add that to the feedback we're using in our planning.

10 |1200

Justin Heasman commented

That's great Brendan.  I'll email any particulars I can think of if outside the scope of a simple update/query model.

Justin

10 |1200

ralph avatar image
ralph commented

It's been over a year--any update on this? Deciding wether to use mLab or MongoDB Atlas--looks like mLab since it has a REST API that I can use with Cloud Script if the Mongo support never materializes.

3 comments
10 |1200

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

That's correct - because there's an existing solution that enables MongoDB via Cloud Script (using MLab), it's difficult to prioritize this over other functional requests. It's important to bear in mind that any direct MongoDB integration would be extremely similar to using the MLab solution, as we would have to pass on the specific database use costs directly, owing to the fact that direct database access provides titles with the ability to generate unlimited costs. That's actually the reason our core services are all custom-built to the specific requirements games have - so that we can provide the functionality without developers having to worry about that level of detail.

0 Likes 0 ·
ralph avatar image ralph brendan commented ·

How does it cost you anything when the mLab or MongoDB Atlas account bills to my credit card? Or are you talking about just the cost of data transfer? I need MongoDB as my database for specific reasons. Playfab is great for most conventional game features, but there are some that require external platforms.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan ralph commented ·

To be clear, I was referring to if we hosted the database directly.

0 Likes 0 ·
nancyrai37 avatar image
nancyrai37 commented

Have a look at SSIS MongoDB maybe something there.

10 |1200

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.

Related Ideas