Idea

Amuse avatar image
Amuse suggested

GetCatalogItem : Filtering / Subsets

Hello,

I think it be useful if GetCatalogItem is able to return subsets of the full catalog such that some CatalogItems may be omitted. Or specific subsets can be obtained.

In my case, some CatalogItems are Server Side only whereby the client never needs to be know about the existence( or understand ) that CatalogItem.

I am thinking that this could be done through "Tags" (ie. filtering by tags) or by specifying in the GameManager itself what items should be omitted from a Client Side call to GetCatalogItem.

Cheers

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

3 Comments

·
Jonathon Mckay avatar image
Jonathon Mckay commented

I agree.

The Catalog may contain a huge number of objects that are not useful to the player in that very moment, resulting in long downloads and loading pages for mobile apps with slow internet devices.

Playfab staff suggest to handle and filter catalog data first on server side with Cloud Scripts. While this is indeed a very good solution, I'm sure it's not as effective as an optimized query SQL.

Would be nice to have this feature.

Thank you

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan commented

To be clear, using Cloud Script to query and return a subset of the catalog is only intended as a workaround for until we do provide a filtered mechanism for querying the catalog directly by the client.

10 |1200

james-1 avatar image
james-1 commented

We would definitely appreciate and use the ability to get specific items from a catalog. Our primary use case is simply to get the base item custom data from the catalog for a player's inventory. It would be great to not have to download our entire catalog of items to get this data.

+1 vote from me.

10 |1200

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.

Related Ideas