Idea

Dylan Hunt avatar image
Dylan Hunt suggested

"Peek" a coupon (Look: Dont redeem)

Similar to the peek() function in VB and some other languages -- look, dont touch.

For example, I want some items to be exclusive - you can only redeem ONCE. I want to peak -- so on my side, if the item is already applied to the account, DONT redeem and say you can only redeem once ~

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

5 Comments

·
brendan avatar image
brendan commented

For the sake of our backlog item, what's the intent if you pass in a bundle that has a Random Result Table as part of its definition? Is the goal to have it tell you what item it will result in, and then attach that information to the item so that when the coupon is finally redeemed, it must still be that item? Or should this return something like "?" for those items?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

dragonfoundry avatar image
dragonfoundry commented

[Necro]

Looks like the real use case here is "have coupons that are 1x per account". This is something we'd like as well (right now, we're doing server-side validation on the coupon to make that work, but it would be way better to have that as a flag, or tag on the coupon (we have some coupons where we'd want the player to only be able to redeem one of a group of coupons, but that's less important)

2 comments
10 |1200

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

So the ability to query to see if a coupon is unused would be sufficient? Sorry, just trying to work out what exactly is needed, in this case.

0 Likes 0 ·
dragonfoundry avatar image dragonfoundry brendan commented ·

The opposite - a way to set a coupon to "one per account" would be the ideal; being able to check used/unused would be helpful for player experience, but wouldn't improve security (smart users could easily write their own HTTP calls to get coupons).

I guess a setting to disallow clients from redeeming coupons would also solve the security side of things (that plus peek would be enough).

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image
brendan commented

Okay, I'm hearing two different things here:

1. The original post is requesting the ability to check what the coupon is for without redeeming it, so that you can decide not to use the redeem API, as the player already has the item. We are planning on adding the ability so specify that a player can only ever have N of any given item later on, but even with that, this would still be valuable, since you still may want to not "waste" the coupon.

2. The ability to have coupons be multi-use (currently, they are one-use), but limited to one use per player. Since you could technically get an item via more than just the coupon, I'd prefer to have this feature request be specific to 1. We do have a backlog item for making coupons multi-use, but please do feel free to add a separate feature request for that, if you'd like to vote on it.Thanks!

10 |1200

Dylan Hunt avatar image
Dylan Hunt commented

Sorry I never followed up on this --

"have coupons that are 1x per account"

^ Yesh -- this is it. For example, using coupons as game keys. I'd have to redeem the coupon in order to see that it's a duplicate of an item the player already has. On our side, we can reject it, but on PF's side, the coupon would still be consumed.

1. Correct

2. I'd also prefer #1.

1 comment
10 |1200

Dylan Hunt avatar image Dylan Hunt commented ·

Err I may have given conflicting info -- having coupons 1x per account is my intent, but not to have a coupon have multiple uses but by "peeking" them, checking myself if they already have the item, then rejecting (therefore, not redeeming the coupon in the process).

0 Likes 0 ·
tom-2 avatar image
tom-2 commented

Massive necro, but I have a use for this exact feature.

Our app+game actually embeds PlayFab coupons into physical QR codes that are shipped with physical vinyl figures.

I want to test the coupon redemption in a test or debug context... but I have no way of seeing what bundle the coupon in question is associated with, without actually redeeming it.

It would even be great just to have a "debug" flag in the RedeemCoupon request, where it would return the item data but not actually claim anything.

We have tens of thousands of coupon codes already, just for the beta, and there will be a lot more generated later on. We COULD store a separate, parallel table containing every generated coupon code along with its intended reward, and do logic on that table in a test environment, but honestly, that feels very silly and redundant when PlayFab is already acting as the authoritative source of coupon state and associated data.

As it stands, I'm forced to have an extremely fake alternate flow for testing, where I'm not even able to tell the user what item the passed-in code was for, and where everyone can claim the same test-coupon. In production, I can derive a lot from a combination of the response of the RedeemCoupon call and the user's own PlayFab data, but there's no good way to warn a user that they're about to waste a coupon on a redundant item... All I can really do is store the redeemed coupon somewhere and hope we can compensate them with virtual currency or something later on down the road.

10 |1200

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.

Related Ideas